Skip to main content

A Life in Poetry (1/n)

It was December and I was in Delhi. I am always happy to see these two Ds together. Winter, blankets, too much coziness for my privileged ass. It was a different thing that as I got comfortable in bed one night, my cousin, who was in class 9, asked, Why do poems get complicated as we get older? How can there be poems without rhymes? To my complete and utter disbelief, I began talking about different types of poems, sonnets, odes, lyrics, elegies, etc. Not just type, but metre and what forms a metre. He kept asking, I kept answering, till we mutually decided it’s too much information that isn’t needed for his test the next day.

I slept with pride that night. If I had been asked those questions a year ago in 2018, I might have cursed the poets and whoever gets to decide the syllabi. It is a little known fact about me that I absolutely disliked poetry for the five years that I studied literature. I could not understand what stressed and unstressed syllables were and even when I did, all I could think of is: It’s entirely upto the person how s/he/they chooses to pronounce a word, how do we base a metre on that? Basically, as much as I liked the meaning and interpretations of a poem, I could never understand its structure. That became the bitterness (aka I don't care attitude) I carried all years in college.

I could have asked my teachers about it. Sure. Just that they would never stop praising the poet and all the students kept nodding along, somehow recognising a heroic couplet, while I sat there wondering, ‘so what’s heroic about the couplet!!!’ Needless to say, I kept myself as far away from poetry as possible because it seemed like a closed group, where everyone was allowed in and I was at the door not knowing how to knock. Even if the door opened, I just couldn’t step forward. As if there was a maze between me and the world of poetry. Everyone could enjoy it, I couldn’t. 

Till I heard Shabana Azmi recite Kaifi Azmi’s Aurat at Hyderabad Literary Festival 2019. I still don’t know what transpired. I had known people who wrote Hindi poetry. I wrote Hindi poems when I was in school. Over the years, I let whatever Hindi I knew slip away. I enjoyed reading my friends’ poems a lot. I listened to Faiz’s Bol and Mujhse Pehli Si Mohabbat on loop at times. Yet, there was something about that particular recitation put together with whatever I was going through in life, something happened, and I returned home to read poems on Rekhta, almost religiously.

I read a lot. I read multiple times. Right now, I have some serious trust issues with people who understand poems in one go. I am way past the ‘feel the vibe and let it go’ phase. I want to know what the words mean, and what they mean contextually. It often takes me many reads to completely grasp a poem or a ghazal or even a sher. And just when I do, there’s something more that I discover.  I now believe, poetry isn’t merely in the words that form the metre or the meaning, but also the vibe they leave – the unsaid words, the silence within. As I write this, I feel overwhelmed, as I often do when I like a piece of work (it takes me about three months to entirely process a work and know what exactly I feel about it - not always but yes).

Strangely enough, it was the Hindustani poetry that led me to English poems. They just did. I need to reread English poems too. (It’s a different thing that all I want to do is compile all the poems on death and loneliness.) And given, I skipped it for five years, I finally did the work to understand the structure of poems and I cannot even express the thrill of it. For example, you have 14 lines, the last two are couplets, and you have a fixed rhyme scheme – all of it is given to you. You have your vocabulary, experiences, and imagination. Go! Write a Shakespearean sonnet now! Wow! My competitive spirit that had been asleep for ages is up now. Not that I tried to write anything. Not yet, but the idea is delish!

All these years I assumed free verse is the best, write with the flow. Write as the thought occurs to you, and maybe, edit later. Rules tie down creativity and reek of elitism. I wonder if I am the elite I hated a year and a half ago. Now, rules are challenging. It’s like you know how to draw a scenery, but you’re given different sizes of sheets, it’s upto you how you take that scenery and fit it in different canvases. One scenery doesn’t have to fit all. I guess, I am coming to the point where I must confess that my advocacy for free verse was mostly based on my feeling left out in the poetry club.

It’s sad but look, now I know free verse and heroic couplets belong to the same club and hesitantly enough, I am a part of it. Not in one language but two because now I know elements of ghazals too. It’s a dialectical relationship people! I am learning here. I am dreaming of ghazal translations in English with all the elements of ghazal intact. I mean, how can one remove takhallus!? Nope. Not on my watch! But then, I also dream of bilingual novels, or novels with poems (like The Binding Vine, maybe). I dream a lot about words and silences, the sheer beauty and power they possess. 

The other day I was telling a friend that I don’t think I am aware of the gravity of things I am getting involved in. Poetry is a whole new world, it’s exciting,  I am not bored yet. But, it’s beyond poetry. It’s the love for languages. The relationship they share with each other, that we are somehow missing out when we are focused on one. Or worse, when we are comparing them for supremacy (I know, the power politics cannot be avoided). We are missing out the magic right in front of us. I’ll go to the extent of saying that there’s poetry simply in the attempts to translate.

I have mad respect for translators, more so for the ones who translate poems, trying to keep it as close to initial form as possible, giving off similar vibes, and taking forward the essence. I am going to question them, anyway. It’s not in my DNA to consider anything as absolute.

All I am saying is life in poetry is pretty exciting, it is new. I never thought I’d be this person, and here I am, with absolutely no clue what rabbit hole I have tumbled into. My Hindi Literature to-be-read is piling up. Oh, in case, you’ve read Kitne Pakistan by Kamaleswar, dm me! I am reading it in Hindi, and I am tripping on it, way too much.  I am rather slow at reading and I keep it aside when it feels like too much work, but I haven't given up on it - the only thing that matters to me. 

I hate it that I get interested in everything, dig deep, and then do nothing about it, as if there’s no better satisfaction than knowing things. Yet, it’s never satisfying. I hear Mephistopheles laughing somewhere far. I am coming for you, M!


A few poems that have stayed in my head in last few months:

Ahmad Faraz's Ab ke Hum Bichde (for its translation on Rekhta which is strangely unavailable on the site now)
Amrita Pritam's Mera Pata (I read it in a book I got from Jashn-e-rekhta, can't find the same translation online)
Vikram Seth's Dubious (give me a better poem on bisexuality, I'll wait)
Alexander Pope's Ode On Solitude (he wrote it at the age of 11, talk about sunshine-y childhood now!)
Gauhar Raza's Mujhe Yakeen Hai (I mean, just read it already!)
Vinod Kumar Shukla's Hatasha Se Ek Wyakti Baith Gaya tha (Anunaya Chaubey's illustration and recitation)
Jerry Pinto's Lockdown Lyric (on Apalam Chapalam Instagram page)

I now realise the list is never ending, so I'll stop. Yes, sometimes I do know when to stop!

Comments

Deepa Gopal said…
One hell of a post Akankshya! I can so relate to the things you have said. I am a lover of words and I try and fail and try again some of the things you mention too! "A Life in Poetry", that's so it! Good Luck!
Shall check out your list-Seth and Pope's are read.
My current post - https://deepazworld.blogspot.com/2020/07/limited-colour-acrylic-ink-illustrations.html
Unknown said…
I am forever grateful to you for introducing me to Urdu Poetry and Rekta. I found my 'sukoon' there. But yeah, I'm yet to understand the vibe of English poems(after studying them for 7 years and writing 20 mark essays on them)
Saber said…
Dear Akankshya,
Thanks very much for presenting us with your great writing regarding Life in poetry. As you know I am not a man of reading plenty of poems in English due to studying fiction, but it does not mean I am disconnected from the world of poetry. As you see my posts on Facebook, I usually share Pashto poems and Persian poems by Rumi from Afghanistan, and poems by Sadi, Hafiz and Tabrizi from Iran. the world of poetry is quite a different world. it is not like reading a short story, or novel to know sooner what is going on after finishing reading it. Reading poetry is like finding new meanings and interpretation as much as you read it. I totally agree with you, there shall be someone to inspire you on pull you into the ocean of poetry to swim in the sea of meaning. I was not very interested in poetry until I read this poem by Rumi saying:

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving.
It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair.
come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times.
Come, yet again , come , come.”
"Jelaluddin Rumi"

In fact this poem is the translation of the Persian poem, but it was the poem which inspired me more to know and read more poems. Some poems might be easier for grasping the meaning. However, the meaning in the poem is 'compressed' and 'enriched'. one has to read to it more to decompress and digest it to observe the energy of meaning in it. And I heartily thank you once again for sharing the list of Urdu and English poets and the title of their poems. I would like to read and know more about Urdu and English poems too.
Wish you a very beautiful Life with poets and poems that inspire you for your further reading and adventure in this regard.

Thanks,
Saber

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply