Skip to main content

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!


People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is!

And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine.

For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:

  •         There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t know the course, we don’t know the date sheet, we don’t know who the invigilator is and we have no choice to avoid or skip it. We have to appear it and all that we need do is be brave and say “Bring it on, I’m ready.” If you have said so then don’t worry about the result, you’ll surely pass and may be rewarded as well.
  •           Humanity exists- This I realized in my last visit to CMC in January 2012. I had been waiting in the Gastro OPD for the doctor to call me when I saw a young lady affectionately helping a sick old  man (probably operated a few weeks back) to have his food as he wasn’t able to eat all by himself and no one from his family was in view. I captured that moment, not in my camera but in my memories! This made me realize that even in this selfish world humanity exists. 

  •         No one can love/care for you as much as your family- Being a teenager it’s not unnatural for me to think that I’m unloved just because my parents didn’t bring me something I asked for or they don’t understand me the way they should. But obviously this was a wrong thought. There’s no one in the world who can love you as your parents/family do. I thought I was too late to realize this but it was the perfect time-teenage! 

  •        Smile no matter what- Yes! Never forget to smile. The treatment of leukemia was far more painful than leukemia itself. And seeing me in pain caused pain to my family and seeing them in pain, my pain worsened. I don’t know what made me do so but whenever the pain was tolerable I would laugh and smile as if nothing has happened to me. And my family, the doctors and sisters would smile back and that only made me happier and the smiles kept me going.

“Life laughs at you when you’re unhappy
Life smiles at you when you’re happy
But, life salutes you when you make others happy”

  •         A positive attitude is necessary in the worst time- Once my mom said that why did God choose her daughter to have this, to which I replied “Papa is working and he is getting the money for my treatment, you are my attendant and take care of me in hospital and Bhaiya just passed 10th and getting sick may ruin his life where as I am not working, I am not big enough to be anyone’s attendant and I’m in just in class 9th and studies are not so much necessary right now, So if it had to come to our family then, I was the perfect one to be have it” And my mom smiled slightly at my answer. 

  •         You’re not the only one who’s suffering- When we’re in pain we think that it’s only us who’s suffering and the world is happy but when you’re in a hospital your thoughts change, mine did. When I saw a few hours/days/months old baby in the room next to me having leukemia I just did not feel any pain of treatment. I was the oldest patient in my ward and knew enough words to express my pain but what about others? I wasn’t the only one suffering; there’re people who are going through worse situations than me. 


Today I am not afraid of accepting any challenges, not afraid of helping others and showing my love and care to my family, friends or strangers. My face is never deprived of smile and my comrades are always inspired by me to see the positive aspect. And whenever I’m low I remind myself I’m not the only one who’s suffering and that keeps me going.

Leukemia . . . Surely wasn’t just a disease in my life! 

There's always A 'Ummeedon wali dhoop sunshine wali Aasha' in every situation


Comments

mohit said…
Hats off to your Spirit dear, its the most important thing for Life. To teach what's life, Most of the people search for those people who are no more in this world but no one sees around them. You are a "JEETI JAAGTI MISAAL" for all of us. Keep on Smiling and Making others too...
Thank you bhaiya...! :)
Antarik Anwesan said…
Good. You write well. Try indiblogger. Good luck. Come out of Bio and study Maths now! :P
Tanvi Dube said…
I cried...not because of sympathy, pity or whatever....but because I read something beautiful and honest....and you are a living proof of what will power does to people...loved the post! All the best for life! :)
PS: I hope you know who I am...I am your brothers batch mate... :P
I'm really glad that you liked it. . .Thank you so much and yes I know who you're. . .one of the crazy makers of Jhankaar :P :P All the best for challenges and life ahead. . :)
Pramod said…
I am proud of you my brave little angel.Can anybody be more fortunate than me? Keep up the spirit and contribute to the betterment of humanity at large.
sakshi shroff said…
U r very brave ... u have taught. Me things in life that I always knew but cud never follow.. thank you for helping me.. u write well.. I have family and frnds suffering frm various kinds of cancer but none of dem are as fearless as u r...
Hope u always keep smiling..
Ur brthrs batchmate... :) goodluck for life girl!! Always stay high on life...
vartika said…
u r a true winner of life..u not only won it urself but also inspires others to live it in a better way.so many learnings in such a tender age. :)
keep going akankshya!n ya keep smiling..coz thats a key to a successful(as u taught me) :)

ps-thru all the posts,i get to know that u r a PCMB student(i was too) :)
all the best for every step that u take! :)
vartika said…
ps2..i was antarik's batchmate in dps,vk!presently doing mbbs from kmc,manipal! :)
i figured out who you are.....and thanks a lot....i need a lot of luck with the entrances ...thanks..again :-)
vartika said…
quick u r!! :D
n dont worry!focus on basics!time to gear up with ur ncerts! :)
Unknown said…
hattss off akanshya(axe effect,mottu) ..... i m proud to b a room mate cum a frnd of such a grt person....
Amrita said…
I have come across this post only today and I am amazed at how profound your experience in life has been. I had no idea about your leukemia...I also had no idea about what your thought process, likes, dislikes and beliefs etc...I just instinctively felt a sort of a positivity in you and while we were walking out of the hotel together that day, I had already made up my mind that I would like to keep in touch with you...Kudos to you and Keep up the sunny attitude and inspire the others to do so as well... :)
Thank you so much aunty. I was also very glad to meet U.i am sure that we will stay connected now. Thanks toindiblogger.:)

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply