Skip to main content

Hyderabad Literary Festival is a Feeling!


Hyderabad Literary Fest 2020My friend and I were walking towards The Arena when I told her, "You know... I get it that Hyderabad Public School is beautiful in terms of historical monument and it’s spacious... But, I am kind of glad that this is the location. Everything is clustered together so beautifully, this is perhaps the first time that I have been to everything or at least am aware what’s happening where. This school... it just feels so...” I trailed off, unable to find the word I was looking for. My friend smiled at me, “It just feels so warm, I know what you mean. I was a bit hesitant on the first day but everything feels so warm this time. It had never felt this way before.” “Yes, warm... Everywhere I look, there’s something hanging or built, there’s not a single wall that’s empty or even a tree. I am just so surprised every time I turn my head. Yeah... it’s just so warm, it...” This time I trailed off not wanting to say the words that were at the tip of my tongue. She completed it nonetheless, “It feels like home.” I am always hesitant to use the term. We walked in silence, taking it all in, towards The Arena to attend Khayyam ke Aaayam, the finale of Hyderabad Literary Festival 2020 at Vidyaranya High School. We weren’t okay, we weren’t ready for the fest to end.

If I didn’t know better, then I wouldn’t have slept last night. I'd have made feeble attempts to keep everything I was feeling alive a little longer. This morning I woke up and there’s no other way to put it – I am bummed out that the three days (24-26 January) are over. I have to wait another year to have this amazing feeling. It’s not just about authors or books or literary sessions or workshops or poetry or cinema or theatre. It’s about the surreal world created by words, images and music manifesting physically. It’s about the space, or as is often said, the vibe of the festival that is soulful. There’s something in it for everybody.

The sign outside the washrooms was the first thing that caught my attention. It said, SHE/THEY. I am not sure how many gender non-binary people were there, but still. The number doesn’t matter. What matters is that they are welcome. It’s easy to say that ‘It’s free and open to all’ while reducing the ‘all’ to a privileged few. HLF doesn't do that. This SHE/THEY is a tiny gesture that’s huge. People have to make conscious efforts. So, this weekend I smiled every time I passed by the washroom, thinking, someone cared enough to do it. It’s a beginning and the journey’s a long one. It’s not a norm yet. I am just so grateful to have an example for my arguments on conscious efforts.

What draws me to HLF? I cannot answer that but if I try hard enough, I’ll perhaps settle for, plurality. Or at least I am assuming that’s the idea driving it. Because plurality happens to be the only thing that has the ability to keep me drawn to it. It’s a fancy word alright, and people have been using it a lot off late. But, you can always always figure out who believe in the idea of it, work towards it – the ones who do have an unmatched humility in everything they do. You can feel it while you’re there, no matter which session you’re in. 

I arrived in Hyderabad on Tuesday morning with my body aching for no good reason. By evening I was down with burning eyes, spinning head and an awful fever. I stayed in bed for three days, hoping I’ll be fine by Friday morning. I wasn’t but then, priorities! I don’t know what the coming years have in store for me, I am fuelled by the faith I found in HLF last year. It has been strong enough to drive me through my lowest days. This year, had the event lasted a minute longer, I would have cried my eyes out because I had no answer to, What am I doing with my life if I am not aspiring to be in a place like this! Planning the year around the event isn’t enough, after all. When I say, 'a place like this', I mean, a place where flexibility in thought is encouraged, where questions are okay even when they are about POK.

A happy reminder. I have said this over and over again, HLF has my heart, my soul. But then, Hyderabad Literary Festival is a festival with heart and soul. It's a living breathing home that's brought alive by some amazing people. Forever grateful!

Until next time!



This isn't a guide to HLF, obviously. Follow the festival on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. More importantly, subscribe to their YouTube channel. I am eagerly looking forward to the videos in order to share them. Most importantly, attend the festival. It's free and open to all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply