Skip to main content

On Being Called Aunty


Six year old girl: Aunty, will you see my colouring book?
I: Yes! I’d love to!
Female acquaintance (also, mother to the girl): I was actually telling her to call you didi, instead of aunty.
I: Oh, don’t bother. She sees me as a friend of yours, I’ll be aunty to her. I am absolutely fine with it.
Male acquaintance: We should tell her to call you ‘young’ aunty.
I: What does 'young' aunty even mean? I am fine being her aunty. I grew up calling everyone in my mother’s age group aunty. She is doing the same.

I was at a seminar in Hyderabad when I met the girl. As much as I like well behaved kids, I tend to stay away from them because I find it difficult to go beyond, 'What's your name?' This kid I met had all my attention for a simple reason: colouring. I cannot recall the last time I held a crayon. She was adamant about making me colour in her colouring book. In fact, she went on to review my work as better than hers in good spirit. I think I liked listening to something like that without any sense of flattery or jealousy involved. If this wasn’t enough, I found her wanting to sit beside me after a while. This I considered flattery. Was I that likeable? Seemed so!

I was neither shocked nor surprised when she called me aunty. I was never called so before. It was different, it was new. I was okay. It reminded me of a childhood experience. A woman used to travel in the school bus when I was a kid. I used to save her a seat in the front because I guess, I always got along with people older than me. When she got married, I asked her, ‘should I call you aunty now that you’re married?’ She laughed. She said that nothing changes between us simply because she has a new relationship. I was left wondering, ‘Am I not supposed to call married women aunty? All the women I call aunty are married.’ Neither did I understand social conditioning back then nor was I aware that marriage can be optional. With all my mother's friends in the neighbourhood married, I had associated marriage to be the criterion for women to be called aunty. 

I also remember one of my roommates in Delhi crying about the fact that she got called aunty by a kid in the park. As much as I tried to sleep that night, I had to listen to her complain about it to her boyfriend. I didn’t know then whether I disliked having roommates who believed in talking for hours at night with their boyfriends or the ones who won’t stop crying about being called aunty by a kid at 3am.

Aunty can be/has been a scary term. We have all had nosy neighbours and our image of aunty derives from the ones we disliked the most, the ones we saw as gossipmongers, the ones who were more concerned than our parents about who we went out with, the ones who asked us about getting married, the ones who body shamed us, etc. We do not want to be associated with people we spent our whole childhood loathing. 

A still from Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham; Source: abplive.in
Moreover, at the dawn of the twenty first century we heard Poo from Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001) tell her nephew to not call her aunty. In that statement, she associated beauty, outfits/clothes and age with ‘aunty’. This is where we are stuck. Loving the self, loving one’s own body, etc are online phenomena. Beauty is constantly being redefined as a more inclusive concept than one body type or skin colour (On this note, please watch Nandita Das's 'India's Got Colour' if you haven't yet). Simultaneously, there are also many panic posts about turning twenty five or more (Didn't we all have a deal with god like Joey from Friends (1994-2004)?). The fear of getting older is more malignant than the cancerous cells in bone marrow.  It derives from the fear of not being beautiful or having a few ‘good years left’. As much as we criticise turning thirty as the endgame for women, we tend to fall in its trap nonetheless.

The question is, despite our awareness, why do we tend to associate ageing with beauty? Why don’t we look at experiences? One of the hard pills to swallow is that sometimes women in powerful social positions tend to fall for flattery based on looks or clothes. I have had a terrible (and occasionally verbally violent) history with accepting compliments on the way I look. I now say a polite thank you knowing that the comment/compliment says more about the speaker or the way s/he looks at me instead of telling anything about me.

I am not saying that compliments based on other things are better or worse than ones based on looks. In fact, I am trying to figure it out. I am definitely not impressed when I am told about my ‘intelligence’. Maybe, someday I’ll see the point in being 'intelligent' in isolation. In the present day, if my thoughts and words aren’t useful enough for others to want to question or think, then what's the point? To be honest, I tend to see being called 'intelligent' as a way to end conversations by most people. 

However, it is exhausting to live in a world where age has been interwoven with beauty and marriage. Awareness, consciously trying to get out of social conditioning, is a process. Should we settle? No! Am I out of the conditioning? Hell no! I am so used to, ‘Which class are you studying in?’/ ‘You don’t look like your age, you look like a class 8 girl!’ that I am elated to know that there’s a section in today’s population that will call me aunty upon meeting. 

Looking young doesn't seem like a compliment, honestly. It feels like turning a blind eye to my experiences and struggles, much of it has a lot to do with my body and its shaming. From making self deprecating jokes on what I call ‘having crocodile skin’ to openly shutting people (albeit in a polite manner) who express their uninvited, unasked opinion about how I won't be able to wear sleeveless dresses (which I do wear), I have come a long way. 

In the end, being called aunty by a kid is nowhere near the tragic incidents in my life which include recently being puked at by a completely drunk stranger in Rajiv Chowk metro station while entering the yellow line metro. Thankfully, that metro station has washrooms and my friend, who brought me her clothes, lives three stops away in the blue line. From where I stand, being called aunty is an absolute delight. I love growing up and I absolutely do not mind growing old, so far. 

Comments

You have an elegant prose style. Delightful read.

I'm used to being treated like a grand uncle since my hairs turned grey when i was 40.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply