Skip to main content

The Graveyard of Ambition

Nine minutes into the movie One Day (2011), the following conversation between Emma (played by Anne Hathaway) and Ian (played by Rafe Spall) takes place.

Emma: So, what’s your stroke?
Ian: Sorry, my what?
Emma: Waiter/actor, waiter/model, waiter/writer?
Ian: Well, I am comedian.

I watched the film in 2015 when I still believed that job is meant to pay bills, there was no wanting involved. I was beginning my M.A then, I hadn’t given a thought to who I will be by the end of next two years. In a way, I had taken it for granted that I’ll be somebody after college. Job was just what follows college, just like college followed school. It was a completely normal rite of passage in embracing adulthood. Yet, this scene had made me wonder, what would my stroke be?

As and when I completed my post graduation, I was struck by a crisis that comes with freedom of choice. I was prepared for a step by step guide to death, I wasn’t prepared for making a decision. I struggled for a long time because an M.A in English leads to opportunities in many fields. I had always looked forward to being in academia, be the teacher who inspires young minds to be the change as my professors had been to me. However, the awareness of my verbal diarrhoea kept me from pursuing it.

Within the first week of my internship at a semi-corporate company I had declared to my parents that I am not meant for a desk job, I’d rather be a writer. A couple of months later, I was in a 9-6 job. As great as it felt to be able to pay my own rent in the first month, I was dying inside because I hadn’t written anything beyond my daily work report in a month – a work report that needed language to be used in a certain way. I had no time for anything after working hours, I had no mental space to even think or physical energy to stay up till ten at night. The only day off that I got was spent in doing the chores that were not taken care of during weekdays. Every time a friend asked me out, I returned to Emma from One Day to say, “I’d love to come but after work, I like to head home, comfort eat, and weep.”

As much as I wrote rants about a job related to writing instead of writing, I was not ready to commit. I kept telling people I write but only for my blog. When they called it a hobby, I was uncomfortable. I didn’t write because I had free time. I wrote simply because I had to, it was my only way to feel alive. Yet, calling myself a writer seemed far-fetched.

Now, two years after college I look around me and I have run out of people with strokes in my life. I see business associates, I see divorce lawyers, I see marketing managers. I no longer see ‘the job we are doing now stroke writer in future’. It is disheartening because I looked up to these people who called themselves writers and poets and storytellers. Unlike me, they were always confident about what they produced. I was merely venting. So, it is disheartening to see that their art was just a hobby that they had let go of in order to move forward in life.

Ian: So, what about you Emma? What’s your stroke? What do you really do?
Emma: Uh, this, this is what I do. Still, it’s not forever, is it?

When I hear Emma say, it’s not forever, I wonder if my friends feel the same way, if someday they’d pick up a pen to write again. I hope with all my heart that they do. I find a voice inside me now that assures me that there was a reason that I looked up to them but never felt at home with them. Writing wasn’t a hobby, and I have taken time to understand that simply because I vent, it doesn’t mean it cannot be art.  I have lived in denial for too long, procrastinated more than Hamlet. Maybe it is okay even if my friends don’t return to their art, they had choices, they took a decision. I shouldn’t have to compare myself to them, questioning my worth, constantly snapping myself out of my dreams by saying that there’s a hole dug for me too in the graveyard of ambition. I was there. I went in to bury self doubts and fear, I am planning to visit it with flowers every once in a while.

Here's a Shashi Deshpande quote from That Long Silence (1988) to end the post with:

"To achieve anything, to become anything, you've got to be hard and ruthless. Yes, even if you want to be a saint, if you want to love the whole world, you've got to stop loving individual human beings first. And if they love you, and they bleed when you show them you don't love them, not specially, well, so much worse for them! There's just no other way of being a saint. Or a painter. A writer."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply