Skip to main content

We Are Here To Stay


There are a few of us who like to listen to stories without judgment, for the most part. There’s something so easy about the good guy-bad guy tag in a romantic relationship that we dislike it. There’s always a supposed clock ticking to move on which basically means shoving everything that hurts in a corner and reliving the same story with another till the time to shove hurt comes again. But us, the few of us, we are cheerleaders during heartbreaks. We like to dance with pompoms when the ones who thought they’ll die without the love of their life learn to live, as they learn romance and love were a part of their life, not the whole of it. We don’t judge them for trash talking or being clingy or whiny, we love them for wanting to live on when their faith crumbles to be rebuilt.

We hear such stories all the time. The stories of heartbreaks far exceed the ones of coming together. We hear red flags and toxicity more than morning cuddles and breakfast in bed. We don’t remind them that their relationship wasn’t just fighting about that one call with another after they bid goodnight or why dishes need to be done immediately after eating or why they needed to save more for their expenses. They tell us everything that hurts. We hear them hate themselves for choosing that person. When the sobs quiet down, they speak of that one time when they were at a bar and danced so hard that they couldn’t climb the stairs to their home. They tell us about that blurred photograph that captured them at their happiest. They begin to talk about the future they had dreamt of and we hear their voice break, their light laughter overshadowed by tears for the future that will never be, again.

We let them be, the few of us. We let them tell their tale, we give them a listener, a shoulder to cry on, an affectionate hug that helps them feel grounded as they begin to think they might disintegrate, a heart emoji on their chat screen to tell them they are loved even if this isn’t the love they asked for. We give them the assurance that time isn’t running out and that moving on will come to them when they are ready to let go. So, we stay till they are willing to stand up from the corner they have crawled into. They take our hand, and a few steps later, they move forward leaving us where we were. They look back in a moment of hesitation, and we reassure them by a nod that says they are doing the right thing. They move on knowing we will be here when they feel the need to revisit the sad corner because loneliness gets too much to take care of itself.

We have been in service for almost ten years, since our first heartbreaks. We discovered then what a lack of support can do to people, how difficult things can be without someone to hear us relive our story from the worst of worst to the best of best to what could have been. Reliving out loud with someone as a witness (a listener or a paper) is important to accept that it has ended. Everything in our head needs that physical representation to assure us that it's over. Most of the times, it’s no one’s fault. Timing isn’t wrong; the relationship simply has had its course. It doesn’t turn love into hate or story into nothing. It just makes people what they are meant to be.

We don’t judge anyone because these stories don't speak of domestic or sexual or emotional violence. They don’t involve gaslighting or codependence. It’s almost always about two people who were not good enough for each other despite being exactly what they needed when they met. Sometimes, people are perfect together and things still fall apart. So, being in this service takes away any and every guideline that we once might have had for a relationship to work. Now, we just believe that anything can happen in any moment. Forever can be a short while or a lifetime, who are we to set the measure?

This is how the few of us keep going, living through stories till we stumble upon our own. We let love be. We put our faith in its existence changing the world, breaking the barriers, speaking for itself. We live many stories and we keep our faith.

The few of us, we are here to tell these stories while love comes and withers away. Without judgment, for the most part.


Comments

ADITI said…
Here's to all the listeners. Thank you for giving them their due credit. Sometimes they are not given enough credit, remembered only in the sad times and bad times, but as mentioned above we are here to stay no matter what. We care no matter what and we are going to not judge and listen.
Pratik said…
This is going to be a big shoutout for some people in my life.

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply