Skip to main content

Goopi Gawaiya Bagha Bajaiya: A film for Children that Adults Need to Watch


Satyajit Ray adapted his grandfather Upendrakishore Ray Chowdhury’s short story ‘Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne’ (1915) as a film, bearing the same name that released in the year 1969, at the request of his son to make a film for children. Twenty years later, a similar request was made to an author by his son that had put the author in a dilemma, “You should never break a promise made to a child, but is the death of the author a reasonable excuse?” Salman Rushdie, the author in question, produced Haroun and the Sea of Stories in 1990, dedicating the book to his son.

Ranade's Goopi and Bagha (Image source: The Hindu)
Fifty years after Ray’s Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne, Shilpa Ranade’s directorial debut Goopi Gawaiya Bagha Bajaiya (2019) has recreated the magical world of storytelling. After a few minutes into the movie, I couldn’t help but wonder about its uncanny resemblance of wordplay with Rushdie’s Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Like Rushdie’s story, the film not only reminds us of the many stories we grew up with but also the Indian cinema songs. It’s the good old story of anti-heroes seizing the day and the princesses at the end of the day. It is a powerful tale of good and evil that bears a more powerful message of peace and love over war.

The animation feature film recreates Ray’s humorous musicians Goopy and Bagha. Rushdie borrowed the names of these musicians to create the characters of plentimaw fishes who mate for life, and their purpose is to swallow the old stories in the ocean of sea of stories to recreate them as new stories. In a similar fashion, Ranade recreates Goopi and Bagha who spend a couple of minutes assuming each other to be their reflections, creating a bond that makes one incomplete without the other, which is further enhanced by the song “Mai Nada tu Pajama” as well as with the boons that they get from Bhooter Raja (King of Ghosts).

Ray’s film spends more time on the dance of the ghosts (and years in the production of the scene) as compared to Ranade’s screen time for ghosts. Ranade, with her vibrant animation, the dark mystic background and on the point musical score creates a scene where the Ghost king is seen giving the musicians two headsets that translate his language to that of humans. Considering the role Google Translate and image/text scanners play in our lives today, the headsets seemed utterly relevant and hilarious.

Goopy and Bagha become the dotting duo who get into trouble the moment they look away from each other. Their boons don’t work with one chanting the mantra; they need to clap with their right hands for the boons to work. This twinning is also seen between the kings of Shundi and Hundi – twin brothers who don’t want to fight but are also not aware of why their kingdoms are in a state of war. These brothers, in fact talk in a similar fashion (again, an amazing use of language and humour), when they are not under the madness of war.

The king of Shundi, Lakshmipat wants to hear his praise where as the king of Hundi, Padmapat wants war under the influence of his Senapati. Given the current socio-political scenario of our country, the depiction of ‘need for war’ poses an eye-awakening moment for the adults shouting for war on social media. I’d go on to see these characters as representation of some very specific people, the role media and terrorism but I have come to realise that such a film will be relevant any day anywhere because it portrays a universal  human condition.

I totally loved the presentation of the preparation for war in Hundi, where no one apart from the authority has a voice (reminding me of Kingdom of Chup in Haroun) and the common man, is forced to be a part of the war without a choice and 'without the uniform of the army'. Further, “Tark kar Vitark Kar” has the powerful lyrics that propose choosing a pen over sword, peace and love over war. The anti-war message being sung in a tune that reminds one of an army marching forward on battle ground only adds to the brilliance of the music (by 3 Brothers and a Violin) in the film. It suggests choosing the battles that need to be fought against hunger and poverty. Later, it’s amusing to note that nobody wants to go to war when they get food in abundance.

Goopi and Bagha, the exiled bad musicians, are given the boon of having everyone in a state of trance when they listen to their music/songs. I was blown by the visual sequence of the song “Hundi ke Raja”, a song that doesn’t affect the king at all immediately after he takes the potion that arises an unreasonable thirst for war against Shundi. It is also seen that despite Senapati’s attempts at blocking the melody, the king hears the song and isn’t affected. As funny as the scene is, one cannot stop from seeing it as an allegory of blind hatred being served on a platter in the country.

Goopi Gawaiya Bagha Bajaiya plays on many stories like ‘Ali Baba and the forty Thieves’, 'The Frog Prince' and classic songs like ‘Saawan ka Mahina Pawan kare Shor’ with a twist. It captures plurality of storytelling in a world that’s asking for singularity. As mentioned earlier, it’s a classic tale of two paupers turning into princes. It's a front seat experience in the roller coaster ride of adventures of Goopi and Bagha. I cannot emphasise enough on the wordplay that has the audience laughing from beginning to end. It’s a gripping moral fable for children that adults need to watch.



 Ranade's Bhooter Raja's face with Goopi and Bagha (Image source: Scroll.in)




Featured post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply