Skip to main content

Saturday, for Better or Worse


It’s a Saturday morning. I sit at home and exist on all days of the week. For the most part, I forget to keep a track of the days that pass by. It’s only Saturday that I check up on. I was once told that I shouldn’t start anything new on a Saturday. It’s inauspicious, the work would never be complete. Given I have been said what (not) to do, I look forward to begin everything on Saturday. I do not plan it, but find myself motivated. Perhaps the sinking realization that yet another week had passed by doing nothing did the trick.

So, if it hasn’t settled in your head – It’s a Saturday morning. My alarm went off at 5 o’ clock in the morning. I woke up at 5.30am. I decided that I should restart my morning walks, but not till another 30 minutes. I woke up an hour later. Light was peeping inside my dark room from the corner of the curtains. I looked up at the soothing light that would pierce my eyes in a few hours. I looked up and thought, “I have always taken pride in being alone but I have never truly been alone before.”

There’s no one to tell me that it’s okay when I get an anxiety attack; no one to tell me to wake up, brew coffee, prepare breakfast and study. No one to ask me, What are you doing? Did I suddenly lose people in my life? No. I just asked everyone to talk to me only when it makes sense. Of course, they are worried for me, family and friends. But, I don’t want to tell anyone how I survive each day. I eat three times a day, if not more. I drink my coffee and, at times, tea. I sleep at nights.

I have not suddenly shut people out of my life. I have only shut conversations that seem unnecessary. These people are important, I would not choose to live without them. But, I don’t need a reminder of staying alone as a setback in life. I do not know why concerns eventually suffocate me, but I have a feeling that I allow it to happen. Meena Kandaswamy, in her book When I Hit You Or, A Portrait of the Writer as A Young Wife, says, “Don't let people remove you from your own story. Be ruthless, even if it is your mother [emphasis in original].” The quote had hit me too hard. I have always cared too much; I have never been able to walk away from people. I have allowed peoples’ decision for their lives shape mine.  

I feel like a coward, someone who hides behind her words. I speak so much and sometimes people believe me. It is awful when they decide to see me through my words. Had I known myself so well, I wouldn’t have been speaking at all. I have a fear of being alone, honestly. I have felt invisible for the most part of my life and I had been desperate to fight it, to make myself visible. I think that’s where it all went wrong. I felt so invisible that I assumed whoever I am is just plain ass wrong. So, I told everyone what they needed to hear to see me. They saw my words and I remained invisible, nonetheless.

Source - Instagram. Sometimes you need to read the most obvious things.
So, last night when I decided my priorities for today, trying to be visible wasn’t one of them. The idea of not being answerable to anyone is liberating. I repeat, I haven’t shut out people from my life; I just took away their agency to affect my day over things that don’t really matter. It might bother them for a while, but they’d understand. I am not sorry, for the first time in forever. I’d like to embrace my invisibility now than fight it for the rest of my life by convincing myself that I am a million other things.

The absence of all day conversations, because we have instant messaging services, allows me to sleep. I don’t want to talk about what I ate, what I wore, or when I slept. I’d talk if something bothers my people, if they aren’t able to sleep, if they need to know whether or not I am still there for them. Because, I will be, in whatever way possible.

Saturday is the day I look forward to as the week goes by.
It’s a start. For better or worse.


Featured post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers
Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers



Comments

Pramod said…
You are graduallly blooming into a impressive narrator. Keep up the spirit and just go on weaving words. Edifices of creativity will be built in no time.


Unknown said…
Something about your words is very soothing. This is the first time i came across you post and loved it. Keep writing.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply