Skip to main content

For the Girl who Jumped out of Bed at 2AM to Find Closure in the Romanticised Memory of the One Dead


There was this professor by the name Dr GR Taneja. He did not teach me. He retired from my college, in Delhi University, a year before my admission. I met him once, in the beginning of the second year of my graduation. I was waiting outside the principal’s chamber with a friend to get the permission for conducting the auditions for our theatre group. I did not know Professor Taneja then. I had heard a lot about him from my seniors. On that uneventful day, he was just a man who cracked jokes about the principal we mutually disliked. It was an awkward, yet funny moment. The moment passed, so did years.

Four years later, during the final semester of M.A., I came across his name. I was working on a project report on a couple of Salman Rushdie’s works. As my mind boggled with a hundred articles/newspaper reviews/literary papers and their bibliographies, I saw a book by the name – The Novels of Salman Rushdie. It had GR Taneja as one of its authors. It was an exciting moment. Among all the unfamiliar names in the list of references, there was one that had a familiar set of syllables.

I contacted as many of my seniors as I could recall. I asked them for Professor Taneja’s number. No. I asked for his e-mail id. Contact numbers have always seemed personal. Most of my seniors suggested that the best way to connect to him is via Facebook, given he is ever so active on online social media platforms. For the love of Rushdie, hesitantly, I sent him a friend request. He accepted it within a few hours. I introduced myself and asked about his book, informing him that the sites for online shopping show that his book is unavailable in India. He gave me an address of a bookstore in Delhi, claiming that it would definitely have the book. Sadly, I wasn’t in Delhi and he wasn’t aware of the bookstores in Hyderabad. He offered to send a hard copy of one of his essays via post. As much as I appreciated the gesture, I didn’t want him to go so far for a stranger. I informed him that I’ll be in Delhi for a couple of hours in the coming week, so I might be able to try my luck at the bookstore. I couldn’t make time when I was in Delhi. The conversation with the professor was then over. In a way, forgotten. I submitted my project report by the end of that month.

Nine months later, he messaged me on Facebook on the night of the Super Blue Blood Moon. He enquired about the book I wanted the previous year. Reading my response, he offered to give me his essay in person if I ever happened to visit him in Delhi. In fact, he also gave me his contact number, which I never used because it simply seemed personal. I was delighted, nonetheless. It gave me an opportunity to meet another Rushdie enthusiast, hopefully.

He, then, began speaking about my blog, confirming whether I am the real author of The Unforgettable Desire. After my affirmation, he talked about my blog post of that night, ‘Dear Hypothetical Kids, For Once Moon was your Mother’s Muse’. He mentioned that he liked it. He encouraged me to write more. It was one of my best nights, not only did I see the Super Blue Blood Moon but also, for the first time, someone I call ‘professor’ read my blog. And, commented about it over a personal chat. It was unexpected and at the same time, something that I had always waited for. I just didn’t know that it would come from him.

The days that followed the eventful night saw a few interactive chats between us. From a discussion on the term ‘Grammarnazi’ to the elitism associated with English to the blasphemous state of knowledge of present-day editors. I was against the term ‘Grammarnazi’. I saw it as insensitivity towards history. I never exercised my limited knowledge of English grammar in ‘correcting’ anyone and everyone unnecessarily. I did believe that English reeks of elitism and privilege that most of the people in our country do not have, and some people are egotistical to admit it. He believed in the importance of perfect use of language, at least in newspaper articles, and so, it set a platform for debate. 

In our conversations, he talked about loneliness too, the one that comes with knowledge. He seemed quite a chatty and friendly person. Yet, he mentioned that he had no friends in his workplace. When I read his words, I wondered, if a friendly person like this man can end up with no friends, then where does that leave me? I am, most of the times and maybe always, pained by unnecessary casual social conversations. But then again, ‘friendship’ as a concept had become incoherent and vague a long time ago.

Having said everything and nothing at all, I know that I had immensely enjoyed the glimpse into the life of GR Taneja, the one that he allowed me to see. More often than not, I had planned going to Delhi, meeting him, talking to him in person and discussing Salman Rushdie’s novels. That… never happened. 

I kept postponing my trip. He couldn’t wait enough. I had contacted him for the first time in April 2017. He passed away in April 2018. I did not believe the news when I received it. I hoped that he would come online on Facebook chat again and we would take up another article and scrutinize it. I cried that night. I couldn’t understand the grief for a person whom I barely knew. A couple of days later, I saw him online of Facebook. I cried harder that day, knowing that it wasn’t him but my first thought was, that perhaps he survived.
Writer's desk at 3 in the morning


Since then, I have seen his account online every now and then. Every time I see it, I feel that I was too late. I should have gone to Delhi and met him. Had I done that, then, perhaps tonight I wouldn’t have gotten out of my bed at 2 in the morning to find some closure, months after his demise. I am bad at goodbyes. I write to deal with death. Death, after all, is the very reason that I began writing seven years ago.

This one’s for Professor GR Taneja, wherever he is, and more than that, this one is… for me.

August 4, 2018
3AM

Comments

Pramod said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pramod said…
Overwhelming. What an article! People really need to be extra sensitive and brainy to understand your thoughts. You are much above the thinking level of the common mass. One intellectual response to your articles is far better than a billion meaningless bah bahs. Keep writing even if no one cares to read it.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply