Skip to main content

"Screw you"


In a world where mental health is being acknowledged,
Where people are willing to hear stories,
Hoping it will help the storyteller to live that day,
Sleep that night, wake up the next morning,
Without the thought of killing himself/herself;
In a world where people are trying to understand,
The beginnings of anxiety or depression,
And ways to cope with it,
My mind shouts, “Screw you.”

For as far as my memory allows,
I remember the desire in my 8-year-old heart,
I remember the desire to die.
It wasn’t a desire that came in the pre-teen years,
When I began believing no one understands me in this world.
It was a desire that I truly wished to be true,
So I asked my then believed ‘god’,
To give me end stage brain cancer,
On the days that I cried as well as when I laughed.

When I was diagnosed with initial stage of cancer,
I began believing that there is perhaps someone out there,
Who heard my voice and responded wisely,
To my unthoughtful, perhaps, stupid but not hasty desire.
I didn’t die but if I were to be honest,
I continued to think of dying.

When I had my first heartbreak,
I believed love was for a lifetime,
And that, love might not happen again.
I wished to die every night I went to sleep,
Knowing I will wake up fine,
Go about my day and make people smile.
Even then, I wasn't suicidal.
I thought of dying and ways people chose to die
I just did not see the point in death, either. 

Believe me when I say,
I was not tortured, I was not cheated,
I was just young to have known better,
Too young to have dealt with delicate hearts better,
Too young to have dealt with my actions better.
So, you might ask,
“Why did you want to die?”

Where do I begin?
For some time now,
I have asked myself the same question,
Over and over and over again.
I fail to reach to a point,
Where I can say,
‘this is the moment in time,
When it all began.’

I go over all the uninvited remarks
On my dark skin, shapeless body,
And future (read, no) prospects of marriage.
Did it begin with social rejection of my body?
I go over the times when I wanted attention from men,
Because that’s what a girl was supposed to do,
And I ask, how did I not recognise physical abuse
From attention, knowing something was terribly wrong?
Did it begin with the abuse of my body?

I go over the times,
When my family was divided,
For reasons unspoken and forbidden
Did it begin with the loneliness of tiny little mind?
I go over the times,
When I broke a boy’s heart,
Which seemed like the biggest felony,
Did it begin then, with the self-loathing of my mind?

The sleepless nights, the wet pillows,
The phrases from a chick-lit or a popular romance,
They were real for years that I didn’t count.
The need to not be lonely at 8,
The need for attention at 12,
The need to be ‘good enough’ to be seen at 16,
They shaped my childhood and teenage,
When people usually said,
“Oh! Get over it already!”

I did not speak out loud, that I needed help.
I hoped that someone would suspect,
Why does this little girl make others smile;
Make self-deprecating jokes;
Running away from relationships;
Saying ‘I don’t believe in forever’,
When girls her age dreamt of a knight in shining armour?

Now when I read about symptoms,
Of depression and anxiety,
I am scared to the core of my spine,
Most of them have been a very active part of my life,
Even when I didn’t know they could be put in a box.
I was silent outside, I was happy outside,
And I survived within,
One day at a time.

When people come out,
“I am depressed”,
I do not understand what good it does.
I respect them for accepting their state,
But I don’t understand,
What good comes from saying out loud?
Perhaps, they have more faith in people than I do.
Perhaps, they believe that people can help.
I do not.

Today, people are reaching out, sharing helpline numbers,
I wonder if those, “I am here for you”, really help?
Are there words in any language,
To make a person feel any less lonely?
Are there gestures in any community,
To make a person worthwhile when they feel meaningless?

Perhaps, I have waited way too long,
For words and gestures and people,
When I reached my rock bottom,
I obsessively indulged in reading novels.
Those books helped me survive,
One story at a time,
For my death wish to slowly decline.

Would you then blame me,
If the presence of physical bodies of stories calm my restless mind,
And presence of human bodies,
Makes it go wild into doubt, conflict and unreliability?
People are different, so are their minds,
Books have gotten me out of lowest times,
To the times where I could build myself again.
Repressed anger remains in some corner of my brain,
I’ll deal with it, in another ten years I tell myself.
I am in no hurry, and I don’t want people to remind me,
‘Oh! Your best years are passing by.’

So, when people tell me,
Let it out, talk to us,
My mind shouts, “Screw you.”
For when I do tell my story,
It remains incomplete,
For some of it is forbidden in its raw form,
And others are called silly when put in the best words.
Tags are easy, comfort isn’t.
After all these years of lone struggle,
“I really am not sure if I want to let you in.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply