Skip to main content

Friendship and the Lack thereof


“At times like these when life is getting me down
And world seems like it’s gonna end-ship
There’s atleast one power that we both still have
And that’s the power of
Friendship."
- Duet, The Flash

Two and a half years ago I began deconstructing the idea of the friendship that I so strongly believed in while growing up. I had put friendship on the highest pedestal of relationships. With the deconstruction, I am now convinced that I no longer have friends. I have people with whom I bond not as a whole but in pieces. A few days ago, when my brother asked me whether or not I have that one friend who I can tell everything that’s going on within me, I told him, “I have no one. I deal with my problems alone, because that’s how it’s always been for me.” Then I added that I have some people but I don’t really share all my problems, I sort of never have had. I had stopped thinking about friends or the lack thereof till last night when my first roommate, after I moved out of home, called me at two in the morning. We used to talk all night after I moved to Hyderabad, courtesy high speed wifi and whatsapp calls. We hadn’t in some time. I was surprised. Among a few things that she said, one was about not having friends.


She: I woke up this morning with the realisation that I have no friends.
I: Oh, welcome to my world. I had that morning two years ago, it was painful, I took a lot of time to get over it. I wish you didn’t have to go through it but thinking and questioning the idea of friendship helps a lot in this phase.

She: But, how can I suddenly not have friends anymore? I just don’t get it.
I: It mightn’t be sudden. I don’t even think I want friends anymore, I want girl friends maybe.
She: I don’t mind having men as friends. I mean, I had such good friends during my internship, but the only thing is, they talked to me with preconceived stereotypical notion of how girls are.
I: This is exactly why I want girl friends. I find bonding with women so much more satisfying than bonding or attempting to bond with men.
She: Exactly. It’s like some men just don’t get it at all.

I: So much for growing up with guys as close friends and then longing for girls who just get us! Somehow, I think of you every time I think of not having any friend.
She: Yeah, I think of you too. But, then that’s most likely because you are the only one who stays up late.
I: Yeah, who knew you would wake me up at 3AM specifically to confess things that I already knew. And to think, you would have left Delhi for Gujarat after first year in college.
She: I hadn’t imagined being friends with you at all.
I: We bonded because we found common ground in disliking our roommate. Otherwise, I am pretty sure you would have never spoken to me.
She: For me, you were from another planet. How can someone read so much and talk like you did! You were an alien to me.

I: Likewise. Yet, at the end of the year, I ended up saying that if I ever take a flat, you will be my first preference for a flatmate.
She: I have a condition, kitchen should be big. I am baking these days, I need space.
I: Also, a big bathroom, I am done with these cupboard sized bathrooms.
She: I want my own room too. I don’t want to share rooms anymore. I want my own space.
I: Look at you all growing up! This is why living with me is the perfect option. We will get a 2bhk, you get your room, you get your privacy. You can sleep with the lights off. I can read with lights on. We don’t have to fight about it.
She: Exactly. If you move back to Delhi, then we are taking a flat at a central spot from our workplaces.
I: Okay. We can do that.

She: But, how can I not have friends?
I: Take some time. Question what you call friendship. Think about all that you believe to be the reason for loss of friends. Just remember, no matter what every relationship is a two-sided effort. Even if it’s your fault, it’s not just yours. And, try to think what these lost friends added to your life.
She: Yeah, I guess.

Photo Credits: Priya Meravigliosa
This morning I woke up to the realisation that the only reason I don’t share my problems with friends is because my problems are usually a step ahead from the ones I used to call my friends. I never really had anyone who got me or what I was going through in that moment. I succumbed to not talking about all that’s within me. I am usually the listening ear, because when people tell me their problems, I have already been through it. I understand what they are going through and somehow have the sensibility to not say, “Why are you thinking like this? Be positive”, “Just move on” or “It happens, not a big deal”. And if I haven’t been through it, I do not react in words to their tales because I do not want to come out as an insensitive person. I don’t want to tell a person to suck it up and move on because for all I know, the person is already trying his/her best.

If someone asks me, what’s friendship, I no longer have an answer to that. My sixteen-year-old self would have proudly written an essay on the subject which perhaps is the reason why I have so much repressed anger for her. Yesterday was one of those days when I give myself the permission to remain screwed up knowing I will wake up fine the next morning. I talked to three different people without really initiating any conversation. By the time sleep took over my senses last night, I knew that even if I want friends or a big group to chill with or hang out, I don’t really need them. I have my people, who get me in pieces if not as a whole, and that’s fine by me because I don’t really think I am a complete-whole -continued-smoothly-from-past-to-present person in the first place.

Are you sailing the same boat as my people and I, a boat that has the tagline, “We are too exhausted to put more efforts but we cannot give up either”?

What is friendship after all, to you?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply