Skip to main content

The Prism that Our Brain is

There comes a day when we have to stop using our past as an excuse for who we are in the present. Past is supposed to be accepted. Many a times, it does seem that we have accepted it. It does seem that we have made peace with who we have become because of our past. And, if it is bad we do hope to take charge of what we do now, because we do not want to blame our today for the things we do in future.

True that. But the haunting question is, what do we do with our past where we weren’t the protagonists? What if, our past has been entertaining others with its limelight? We were not backstage and we had no role to play apart from being an audience. We laughed when the acts got funny and we cried when grief took over. And, every time we had the stage to ourselves, we thought about what the acts of others left us with. We didn’t have the brain to analyse it. We missed a few shows at times, perhaps, escaped the theatre because we didn’t know how to live just as a mute audience.

It is then, that past cannot be escaped in present. The rare moments we spent on stage, with no audience and no backstage help, left us with enough time to deal with how we felt, not knowing really what we felt. Sometimes in present we cannot make sense of what we say and why we say it. We just do, and if we think about it, it takes us back to very specific moments in the past. It may be a particular day or a particular thought that we failed to make sense of. But in the end, we began believing in a version of ourselves that had nothing to do with us. We began living a life, purely based on the choices and decisions made by characters on stage, the ones we saw growing up, the ones we heard and to be honest, childhood then doesn’t seem as pretty as we try to romanticize it.


What do we do? Forgetting the past is never an option unless we want to do it Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind way. Even if we do do that, then it would be an endless cycle of similar events. To live with past, I strongly believe, is difficult. It affects us, every day as an adult. Are we making a decision because we want it or are we making it because of what happened to us in the past? Who would we be had those particular events not been a part of us, and we actually had the choice to make what we want to make of our life, where the lime light never goes away from us?

Wait! "Aren’t we protagonists of our lives now, as adults?" Let’s not get into that. It’s not easy to live as an underprivileged muggle for eleven years and suddenly accept the amazing life of a wizard. No, that doesn’t make sense. Even Harry Potter needed a parallel world to be who he wants to be, or rather has always been. We are mere muggles stuck in one world with our past.We have no escape. We try to make our present better if past was any good. If we turn out to be great, probably we wouldn’t even look back. What about the moments when we break down, just a little, and nothing makes sense? There are times when we think that we have accepted our past is like water, we need it but we can shape it by putting it into vessels of our choice. Somewhere, don’t we know that it doesn’t add up?

I hope for a better world, I am an optimist that way even if I prefer to stay a realist for the most part. My realism tells me that we make peace with the past, and if we don’t then we don’t. No matter what state of mind we are in, we just stay that way. The optimist in me says that we make the best of today. The past left its scars, but it doesn’t have to rule the day. How naïve! I think, these are two easy ways out. The difficult is the third one, where I feel that past haunts us because it needs to be acknowledged. If we had a great yesterday, do we thank people who made it so amazing, do we thank ourselves for being a fabulous person? If we had a bad one, do we talk to people associated with it? Are we brave enough to tell them how something has affected us, something in which they had a role to play? Do we try to get a closure, before accepting things are the way they are?

I am not saying that talking or any other form of acknowledgement helps deal with ghosts of past. There are a few maybe(s) though. Maybe if we acknowledge, then it won’t repeat itself. The people associated with it might deny the existence of such a past, their memory of it might be entirely different. But maybe, just maybe, they will understand that realities of two people in the same situation can be poles apart. Maybe, they will understand that psyche of a person varies from another, they will acknowledge your version of past even if they do not accept it, and maybe that will make all the difference.

Source: www.alamy.com
At other times, acknowledgement, understanding, and acceptance of those with centre stage back then wouldn’t matter. Whatever happened, happened. We tried, we did everything we could to get that closure we probably needed. It didn’t make any difference. In those moments, we have to make peace with the fact that we weren’t the ones directing the show. It’s not okay. Those moments have passed, and even if we get a TARDIS, we won’t be able to fix it because we do not know what our younger self would have wanted.

We know how we want our past to be in this present. We do not need a time machine to fix that, we have a subconscious mind. If we think about something for long enough, we might start believing in it. All we can do today is decide what we want to think about. It just has to be this moment where we believe in ourselves even with a haunting past and a scary future. And, maybe someday we will stop thinking about the one thing that we never understood, the one that never made any sense. Our brain, in the end, is perhaps like a prism. We can throw our present into it, and it will refract different pasts, each with its own effect which no matter what resulted in the light in us, or may be the darkness.

It is a matter of perspectives, after all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply