Skip to main content

Respect and Love: Better Earned than being in Shackles

[The following post is a personal and subjective take on the issue. Any offence is deeply regretted, or maybe not. Read it till the end and you might understand why. Forgive me for the irony and paradox used.]

We belong to the Indian culture where we respect our elders and love the ones younger than us in our family, by default. I am simply stating a fact, without raising this culture to greatness or demeaning or comparing it to any other culture. If you are born into a conventional (Hindu, as I cannot speak for other religions) Indian family, you know you are supposed to touch the feet of the older members of the (extended) family, join your hands on the road if you meet the neighbouring uncle or aunty, share your personal belongings with your siblings and so on and so forth as gestures of respect and love. If you don’t, then either your parents are blamed for not giving you the correct upbringing or you simply become ‘that’ kid whose lack of such gestures is taken as naughtiness but talked about in grave tone in his/her absence. To be clear, I was a good kid, and at home, I try to be a good kid even now because (as difficult it might be for me to accept) you cannot reason with your (extended) family. (Although, I keep trying.)

During my graduation a friend asked, “What do people mean by ‘respect women’?” I kept wondering, what does 'respect' really mean? I remember feeling the sense of respect for the same friend when he was suddenly given the responsibility of the theatre society of our college and he did it really well in the absence of the president of the society. That was the first time I developed respect for that part of him, if not entirely for him. I realised then that respect in true sense is always earned. Of course, it comes with the roles played by that person in your life, but it also comes with his/her being. You might become the best kid by performing all the gestures of respect, using the right words while addressing people, but in the end, you might not really respect that person. And to answer the above question, I think when people say respect women they mean, ‘understand and acknowledge women as human beings instead of treating them as your property or nobody.’

I spent my last summer at home wondering, “Can I respect and love my parents as humans if I take them out of the roles they are playing for me?” To be honest, my thoughts were conflicting. With such an attempt, my complaints became fewer when I saw their flaws. As much as I respect them for making me a privileged kid in my friend circle with the freedom they provided, the need to love, care, and protect came only after I saw them as imperfect vulnerable individuals fully capable of getting hurt. To take your parents out from their ‘perfect’ platforms, analyse them, and then, accept them as mere humans before feeling the sense of respect is mind boggling and tiring. A task I took up knowing the consequences that I might not see my family in a similar fashion ever again.

With Raksha Bandhan coming closer, I felt the compulsion to send out Rakhis to cousins I do not talk to, have never bonded with. Forget analysing the reasons behind the celebration, even if I see it as a simple gesture of love, I couldn’t make myself want to do it, unlike my childhood days when I not only sent  rakhis, but also added a short letter asking about their well being and advising them to eat a lot of sweets on that particular day. It was an act that I did unconsciously voluntarily. Given my obsession to be the ‘good’ girl, I would have probably done anything then. Now, I have about one brother and eight cousins in the family (for avoiding the use of ‘real’ brother). I share a very conventional bond of love with one of them, thanks to the time we got to spend last summer finally getting to know each other. I share an unconventional shout-and-fight-but-supportive-in-my-own-way relationship with my brother, finally giving up on the idea of constant sharing of emotion as I had seen among my friends’ siblings. We share in our way and are far from expressing love directly.  There is another cousin that I looked after when he was one year old, but right now I do not recognise him anymore. With so much distance, and no ‘real’ communication, am I supposed to send out Rakhis as a sign of my love? Really? How about we get together and know each other bridging the discomfort between us?

In a social gathering recently, when an aunty mentioned the prospect of my marriage, I joked, ‘I am the girl who is capable of breaking families, good luck finding a groom for me.’ This is something I strongly believe in. People have often told me, to not use my mind when I am home or with my family because those are off-limits for reasoning. I do what I have to do, bow down, join my palms when I meet a (distant) relative, I ask about well being of my siblings, and even though I was adamant on breaking the tradition, I did send out rakhis this year to avoid family drama with my grandparents. But honestly, with my paternal and maternal family scattered all around the globe, with minimal communication between the kids of my generation, how am I supposed to feel any sense of love?


As much as people tell me, I am over thinking, isn’t it something we should all be thinking about? I mean, what good is it, if we respect people out of social norms and feel nothing for them at all? How honest are we being in this age-old society that seeks truth in its mythology? When tried respect and love can be earned with a mere observation of actions. Why do we take the basis of our relationships for granted then? I want the society to be a better place, and I want to see at least a minute change in my lifetime. My parents keep saying, do something to change the world if you so want to, conveying that the outside world needs changing. What they fail to understand is that my idea of change starts at a grass root level. After an individual comes his/her family, doesn’t it?

Image source: www.riveroakchurch.org
Image editing: Slow running Picassa in my PC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply