Skip to main content

The Ridiculous Making Of A Feminist


Pseudo feminism, and the bastardisation of feminism has bothered me a lot in the recent times. What has bothered me even more is that how it has become the source and product of people’s entertainment. A struggle turning into a laughing stock, pains me.

For a long time I thought I could not be a feminist. Why? The reason is as simple as, my father was partial towards me, following the apparent idea of “fathers favour the daughters and mothers, the sons” People have told me it is true whether or not it actually functions that way. The elders in my family till today tell me that I am my Dad’s favourite, and not always in a good way. I should be proud, shouldn’t I? But what have I done to be a favourite, born as a girl? I have always been guilty of the privilege I received at home for being the girl. And that, I thought is the reason why I believed, my brother and I will never get along. I wanted us to be treated ‘equally’. Believe it or not, I did not want to be the privileged one.

When I studied English Literature, I heard the term Feminism for the first time. It was in my third year that I began reading essays on Feminism. I realised then that I am not really the privileged one. Favoured at home, when I want the TV remote or play computer games or cry for a Barbie, certainly. I could then see the ideologies that form the favouritism. It was then that I knew that all the unconventional dreams in my head since I was a kid aren’t merely just in my head but there are actual people out there who are fighting to make those dreams real.

I was in Class III when Kalpana Chawla died. I had no idea who she was before the television screens flashed the news of her sad demise. I asked my father about her, and she became my first role model. I was given as much freedom a girl could be given, and a little bit more while growing up but somehow my colonised mind had its limits to think children in the West had more freedom than we would ever get in India. Kalpana Chawla, a woman of Indian origin, going to the space was the most mind blowing act for my eight year old brain. 

Another quick background story, I longed for sisters in a family where for the most part I had brothers who would beat me up for quite some years following my elder brother’s orders. It didn’t matter if I was older in age. My elder brother was the alpha and the younger ones were scared of being in his bad books. Bhai Behno mein jhagde hote rehte hain. (Fights keep happening among siblings. So what? Those fights were in no way affectionate. To me, it was the physically superior sex having the laugh of their life. I longed for an army of my own, an army of my sisters. By the time I got a couple of sisters in the family, we the twentieth century kids, had ‘grown up’ and somehow become non-violent. 

It was around the time when I wanted this army of girls that Sushmita Sen adopted a girl child without having to get married. She got as much respect as I was capable of giving someone from me for this act. She did not need a man in her life, and for the probably 10 year old girl, that was the best thing in the world, also the most ‘unnatural’ and hence a definite path to follow. Marriage still somehow was the thing that I had to do unless I am famous (which I had no intention to be), but it was the first thing in my bucket list to adopt a girl child at the age of twenty-five (Little did I know that I might not even have a job by then, given my choice of subject later.) and judge the man by his views on the idea of a single mother. Yes, as a kid I did not know the politics of marriages and was sure that I will be ‘judging’ the man on his 'ideas and thoughts.' Ignorance is such bliss.

These stories still form the part of my comparatively grown up life. As far as my memory permits, I think that I have read Tinkle ever since I learnt how to make sense of sentences. Who was my favourite character? Janoo from ‘Janoo and Wooly Woo’, Wooly Woo being her pet dragon. Let’s just say Janoo was as brilliant as Hermione Granger and she could pet a dragon apart from fighting the notorious wizard! Have you seen Ash, Hagrid, and Harry deal with Charizard, Nobert, and the Hungarian Horntail respectively! (How to Train Your Dragon might be an exception but the second movie in the series again proves my point.) Yes, these are fictional characters. They are not real, and are exactly the reason why I wanted to be like them.

The society, the family that I lived in never gave me the vaguest of idea that I, as a girl, could achieve so much, could be unnatural or more precisely now, unconventional. My parents told me I could be anything I want. They also made sure that I had it in my head that I won’t be married off to anyone if I wasn’t financially independent. I think, that again is why I wondered in my teens, what if a woman chooses to be a housewife and did not want to work. But again, I kept it to myself. I was already way too free in my head and struggled to meet with reality, the disappointments, and the crashing expectations!

So, when I read that there is a group of people fighting for all my dreams, answering all my questions then why wouldn’t I want to know about them? Why wouldn’t I agree with them that to set marriage as any limit is a matter of choice of the person involved and not an ultimatum? Why wouldn’t I want a life lived on my terms without having to be famous, warna log kya kahenge? (otherwise what will the people say?) Why wouldn’t I want to stand with those people trying to make my fantasies meet reality, because it is after all possible, only, not allowed where I live!

Yes, the reasons behind the making of a feminist here are silly, childish, and probably ridiculous. I longed for things, things that I was told I am impatient to get. Needless to say, I have always been a so called 'over-thinker.' My personal experiences, in a time when the mind knew how to wander, made way for me to see and understand the socio-political injustices. Yes, it’s a personal fight, but when a group of five people fight with the same cause, it no longer remains personal and here, we are talking about people from all around the world. No, I am not going to define Feminism, neither the term nor the movement. I am not going to say that, what I have always wanted is the goal of being a feminist. I am not even going to mention how a fight of an oppressed gender recognised the oppression of other genders. But I am going to say, irrespective of the bastardisation, I am a feminist. From a curious to an angry one at that.

Am I complicating simple things way too much? Well, it's a good thing then that I believe happiness to be a selective delusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply