Skip to main content

Dear Misandrist, You Are Not a Feminist. Period.

Dear Misandrist

Have you ever introduced yourself with a name that isn’t yours? Or have you ever felt the need to take up a name because you weren’t aware of the name given to you? Or have you ever felt like belonging to another gender when the world sees you for what your biological sex shows? Or have you ever ate daal chawal but were sure it was biryani in your mouth? Or have you constantly covered your identity with a mask? Of course, the questions are absurd. Of course, I have lost my mind. How can I be sane? ‘Feminism’ has been a terrorizing agent on the social media in the recent times. Feminism has been bastardised. Yet, I find many women introducing themselves as feminists. Just the way you did, when we first met.

I wasn’t a feminist. I did not want the tag because I wasn’t sure if I knew completely about the subject and functioned accordingly. I was a beginner. On the contrary, you were confident. Yet, you said something that I found to be anti-man. Upon questioning, you said that you were joking. I couldn’t accept a feminist laughing on such a joke while fighting against all the wife/women jokes. You said that you will support a girl knowing she is wrong, because you are a feminist. You rejected feminist texts because they are too depressing for your jolly soul and yet, you are a feminist. You said I shouldn’t have sex because I will require a man for the act. But you cringe at the idea of masturbation. Also, you believe that men can’t be feminists because they haven’t suffered like us. Let me tell you something here, I was introduced to feminism by a man; a man, who is a feminist. He never felt the need to walk with a placard or shout it out loud. One could sense his ideology in everything that he said and did. On the other hand, everything that you say is preceded or succeeded by ‘…because I am a feminist…’

Feminism was never about justifying the wrongs of a girl. It is about surfacing the silences of a gender that has been dominated by an ideology; an ideology that has marginalized the gender. The ideology is patriarchy. The gender is the ‘feminine’ one. The male-dominated ideology has oppressed us since time immemorial but the important fact here is that, not every man advocates the ideology, not every woman fights against it. Most importantly, people aren’t even conscious of it working against their livelihood.

When the feminists fight against patriarchy, they fight against their oppression. They do not say, we have been oppressed for centuries, now we are here to oppress men. It is not about revenge. It is about justice. The opposite of patriarchy is not feminism but matriarchy. And in case you do not realize, matriarchy isn’t any better than patriarchy. It is equally damaging, reversing the roles of present day oppressors and the ones oppressed. The feminists fight for equality. It does not include raising themselves to a position of powerlessness and be proud about it. It does not include enslaving men. Feminism merely believes that there have been many socio-cultural agents that shape the difference between the two major genders in the world and that there is a need to do away with that difference.

Empowerment and modernity aren’t all about economy. A housewife choosing to be so with a consciousness of the agents working within and outside her is more empowered than a woman in the corporate world without such a consciousness. The need is to do away with the institutionalized value system associated with the woman of propriety. Amazonian Utopia isn’t what the feminists ask for.

But you define feminism as something that is against men. Have you ever given it a thought that men and the other genders have been victims of the same ideology? No. You have simply known that you have suffered. Probably you have had an experience that shaped your beliefs. But your ideologies aren’t feminist. You are a misandrist wearing the mask of feminism. Thanks to you, I have finally realized the need of being a feminist. Misogyny probably led to patriarchy, and misandry too is a symptom of matriarchy. People are going to mistake me for you. You have spread like a virus in the society. I had been fighting patriarchy without my consciousness. Now that I am aware of it, along with breaking the thousand walls of patriarchy, I have an added responsibility of unmasking you too.


Yours truly
A feminist

Comments

Devam said…
Ahhh! The ultimate misunderstanding about'feminism' & the Pain of my heart.

Isn't feminism is very similar to, and a very quick recap of rise n fall of, religion? The victim, the benefitted, the opperresor, the opperessed, the propogator, the follower....all are one and the same person and same is the factor of ITS RISE and sadly, ITS FALL.
Dear feminist, You propagated your ideology with much thought. People misinterpreted it with less thought.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply