Skip to main content

SHE

Oftentimes when I talk to my friends from the previous college, they ask me, you are Akankshya, you always loved living alone so why is Hyderabad making you so miserable? And I say, Not Again! In Delhi, I spent so much time with people that I needed some alone time. In Hyderabad, I spend all my time with myself apart from a few days in a month and let’s admit it; I am a really boring soul. So for the last six months, I have cribbed about not having a group of people to hang out with, to share a pizza, to roam around aimlessly, to make impromptu plans because well planned ones fail, to sit around a table and have the disgusting conversation over food etc. etc. In the end all I did was torture my only best friend here, Asif, to meet me at least once a week to save the miserable soul that I am becoming!


To pull me out of this misery and the emotional fucked-up-ness that she was unaware of, or simply to visit Hyderabad, came my best friend from school who can never be replaced in my life! She’s probably the one person I never mentioned in my Leukemia diaries and never will. What she did was beyond anything any friend did for me. Knowing that I was suffering from cancer, she called me everyday holding back her tears and a really scared heart, connecting me to my school, my home in such a way that when I went back home nothing seemed new when a lot of things were. Swati she is!

She arrived in Hyderabad with three of her collegemates. Being the person that she is, we already knew each other virtually without meeting before, so when we met breaking the ice wasn’t really a big deal. (Quite literally) Even though I am not a big fan of the famous Paradise Biryani, I hopped in to her invitation of sharing one together on 10th March. It wasn’t about the food; it was about being with her after ages! Though she was tired from her Ramoji Visit, and I was over-excited to meet her, we managed to share laughter, thanks to Suvendhu’s ever smiling face. Also, we had so much to talk about that we got a new finger bowl story apart from the ones in which someone drinks the Nimbu pani. And when Anwesh, Guddi, Suvendu and Swati decided to walk me home, I was more than elated.

The next day was spent at Inorbit Mall, Snow World, NTR Marg and Eat Street. Asif and I joined the four of them. It was the best day I had in a long while. Shopping for a couple of hours was followed by hitting each other’s face with snow balls the moment one cleaned it from the previous attack. The ice sliding, the snowball fights, the falling together at the entrance of the igloo in attempts to kick the ball, the dancing in the snow, the freezing feet, the burning cheeks and finally out in the heat was followed by walking on the Necklace Road, reaching NTR Gardens at the closing time, and then moving on to have the last bite is all about the day.


One might ask me, what was so great about it? It is any day of visiting Hyderabad. But for me it was about being with a group of people, who probably come from different backgrounds and are way too different from me. It was about a group of people wanting to have fun irrespective of the little clashes every now and then. It was about vegetarians and non-vegetarians sharing the table and teasing each other with the food they cannot eat. It was about respecting each other’s food habits and playing along. It was about passing the food the moment one’s mouth is empty or not. It was about having a conversation without thinking the right and the wrong. It was about having conversations in Odia, including Asif who was shockingly good at the few lines he tried speaking. It was about the photographs to create memories and not posing for fifty photos and selecting the best one. It was about having both my best friends together without much awkwardness. It was about making new friends. It was about two best friends talking for hours after school and not so much during college with the mobile bills but dying to meet each other. It was about having probably nothing in common but Swati. Yes, it was about her and the pending letters that I finally gave her.

And then there is something about railway station see offs. You are together till the train leaves the station. You do not want to let go. They want to take you with them. In the chaos of the crowd, the eyes do the talking as she often quotes so. Once the train leaves, you just sit in the emptiness of platform wondering that you never knew how it was to let people go and return home alone not knowing when you will see them again. And somewhere you think of all the people who have had returned home when you left. I have always felt that there is a thing about good bye(s) that no matter how much you try you simply cannot explain.

So this one's to her. Because SHE is LOVE! <3



Comments

Antarik Anwesan said…
For the first time felt that you are in Hyderabad, a new city and trying to make it home and fun. Good!
Thank you Antarik. As I often say, most of the times it's about the people and not the place.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply