Skip to main content

That Fascination with Death!

Being born in a family of book lovers, I was taught not to judge a book by its cover at an early stage. So I didn’t. Instead I judged the book by how its contents looked. For example, if the book does not have colorful pictures or large font, then it simply wasn’t my type. I held no fascination for novels, I was happy in my little world of Tinkle, Amar Chitra Katha Comics, Pinky, Chacha Chaudhury etc. The first novel that I finally dared to read with its small font, at the age of 13, was One Night@ The Call Centre. Since then I have taken pride in saying that I did not have a good start into the world of novels and do not let anyone convince me otherwise. The journey then on must have been good enough because now I wait desperately to lay my hands on the tiny fonts of my Literature books without any prejudices.

The back cover of The Book Thief 
                Having read not-so-many books, I had never been able to decide my favourite one. No, it is not the Harry Potter series, for the people who think I am a great Potterhead. It isn’t any of the Nicholas Sparks romances either, they are all similar anyway. I rub my head to recollect every book that I have read including the ones in my Literature syllabus. No favourite there either. Then one day while surfing a book store with no intention of buying anything I came across a book that one of my teachers had suggested me to read. And after all these years, I fell in love with the first thing that I read. I judged the book by its cover, its back cover which said This novel is narrated by Death in the centre. I have not regretted it.


                Death intrigues me. Why? I don’t know. How? I don’t know. What do I mean by it? I don’t know. The fact that one cannot express the experience of death, because obviously the person is then dead, is probably what attracts me. We can always talk about near death experiences, but never about death. There is no such experience in the end, I guess. But I choose to believe otherwise. Death remains a mystery. For someone like me then, to have a personified version of death is a treat for the curious mind. But I am pretty sure any person with no such fascination but a heart for reading might like the book equally. After all, The Book Thief has a lot of elements to fall in love with, Death as the narrator is just the cherry on the top or a little more.

                Death is the omniscient first person narrator. He narrates the story of his three meetings with a little girl during the Second World War in Germany. Every word that he speaks increases one’s hunger for more instead of satiating it. It has been more than a year that I read the book. I remember being disappointed with how the story ends, but that’s probably because I found it quite forced and unnecessary. Or maybe, during that time I was so taken with the theory of absurd and meaninglessness of life in my literature classes that I did not like happy endings. But then Death certainly did a number on me.

A SMALL PIECE OF TRUTH
I do not carry a sickle or scythe. I only wear a hooded black robe when it’s cold. And I don’t have those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance. You want to know what I truly look like? I’ll help you out. Find yourself a mirror while I continue.

You can’t convince me that you did not take a deep breath after reading these lines, if you have of course read it in the whole context.

They say that war is death’s best friend, but I must offer you a different point of view on that one. To me, war is like the new boss who expects the impossible. He stands over your shoulder repeating one thing, incessantly. ‘Get it done, get it done.’ So you work harder. You get the job done. The boss however, does not thank you. He asks for more.

One is totally bound to empathize with this personified version of death, because we all know it’s our story. We might not collect the soul of the dead, but the way we feel about our jobs is pretty much the same. There is so much more to this unconventional narrator. But one can only know when the book is read in its entirety. One might also be surprised in the course of reading the book when s/he realizes, Even Death Has A Heart.

Another of my fascinations is to note the last sentences of every book. When one reads Zusak’s The Book Thief in one go, the last sentence of the book has the power to wrench the tears out of one’s soul.

A last note from your narrator: I am haunted by humans.

Lately, I have recommended The Book Thief by Markus Zusak to quite a few people. It was the subconscious addition of “It’s one of the best books I have ever read. It’s my complete favourite” that made me realize that I finally have a favourite book. I have often wondered how Zusak could associate such humanly emotions to something like death which over the ages has been described as evil. But then, that is probably the reason which keeps the reader interested in the subject.

If you’re reading this, I hope I have been successful in developing a tiny little bit of your interest in this book. If not, then it’s my bad. I have never written about a book before. I still hope, someday when you come across the book while surfing a book store, then you might think of this blogpost and spend a few bucks to give it a try! Happy reading. :D

Ps: The personification of Death in The Book Thief stole my heart. I am not blinded by it.

The image on the front cover of The Book Thief.

Comments

Eleana said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eleana said…
I have not read this book, but your subject line attracted me to read your post. Nowadays, my only topic of life is death. May be because my husband died too soon, and i want to know where he is gone. I am researching on the most certain fact of life which is death. There is no escape. And the surprise is you will never know when and how you will die. I would definitely read this book :)

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply