Skip to main content

The 'Manly' World

Situation 1, Friend 1: I have not have sex yet but my friends think I have. That makes me manly. 
Me: Why does your ‘manliness’ needs to be defined by sexual intercourse? You are just twenty.
Friend 1: I don’t define it. They do. A twenty year old virgin girl is cute; a twenty year old virgin boy is gay.

Situation 2, Friend 2: I love dressing up as a woman. I want to feel like a woman. But people judge.
Me: There are many cross dressers out there. I am sure your confidence will build up eventually and someday you won’t have to hide anymore.
Friend 2: No, I do not want to reveal my true identity. After all, I am born a man who loves dressing up as a woman. It’s not very manly you see.


Situation 3, Friend 3: I wore a bright purple shirt and my colleague told me that it must be a present from my girlfriend. Why does the colour need to be gender defined? I like purple.
Me: It doesn’t need to be. It’s just a strategy to sell products which has engraved itself in the minds of people.

Secrets. We all have secrets. We want to share them. But more than that, we want to fit in the crowd. We are scared of being different. We are scared of standing up for that difference. Hence, we survive in the society the way it wants us to live. The societal distinction of masculinity and femininity is deeply engraved in our minds during our childhood. We do not question it. But we question ourselves if we do not fit into those set norms. And then, when we realize that we are a part of the unacknowledged blurred region between the two, we start hiding. Generation after generation we remain silent and let our children go through the exact same process knowing that they will learn to hide too. But what if they don't?

If one begins to question the set ‘manliness’ then many “if not this, then what?” will definitely follow. And in defining the term by freeing it from the already set norms, we provide the world with another set of norms which might end up being equally problematic. For instance, we stand up against “Men don’t cry.” But at the same time we say, “Men don’t make women cry.” Yes in the former case, we are breaking the masculinity by saying that crying isn’t a form of weakness. But in the latter case, we are again setting a norm of who a man should be. Irrespective of the situations, we tend to generalize it.


So, what then is my take on ‘manliness’? I would say we should do away with the idea of it. We have always lived on the distinctly divided lines. For once, maybe we should take a step towards a chaos, a blur under the umbrella of the entire gender spectrum. For once, maybe we should deconstruct the societal norms of masculinity and femininity and accept people for who they are. Of course we need to draw a line, a line for being human without compromising with our individual identities, something we are born with rather than something we are brought up with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply