Skip to main content

Wise Words of Innocence

I was 14 when I was diagnosed with PRE-B-ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIA at Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore. It was a hard time for my parents to manage a household in an unknown city where an unfamiliar tongue was in power where as I enjoyed all the luxuries of a private room in the pediatric ward. But then came my aunt with her one year old daughter, Anusha, to my parent’s rescue. She managed the household chores which mainly included preparing the dishes that I demanded, my Dad took care of the official paper work at the hospital and my Mom somehow managed to handle my tantrums in ward.

Becoming a doctor was never my ambition, not even for the essay writing in school. But my stay in Vellore among all the doctors somehow inspired me to become one even though I sucked at biology.  I went back to school, chose biology as my main paper in high school and I am glad that I could at least get a first division in the board exam. By the end of my schooling, I knew very well that there is no way that I am going to be the doctor I once wished to be.

My dad applied my name for almost all the government run institutions in India for MBBS. Having no hope in pursuing the degree I had given up studying when one day Anusha, then 5years old, sent me a mail. Half sleepy half awake I checked the mail hoping it to be another of her cute poems/drawings for me. We had bonded like soul sisters in our days shared in Vellore and the bond still continues, the 13 years age difference doesn’t matter. So anyway the attachment in the mail said that-  

Dear Akankshya Di, if you find anyone sad then please do this- Tingle them for 3 minutes in the morning, then in the afternoon hug them tight, then at night cuddle for 2 minutes, Please do this for 5days till they are happy. 
If you’re sad then do these to yourself. Ask your mom to tingle you, hug you and cuddle with you and if you’re still sad then call me and I will tell you a good joke.
If you do these then you’ll become Dr. Akankshya, the Happylogist.


I was awestruck and speechless after reading these words coming from a 5year old. I had lost all my hope in becoming a doctor but this awesome sister of mine filled me with optimism when there was none in me. Her words, probably spoken in the innocence of her age, inspired me to make another effort and not give up in what I once wanted to be. This morning I woke up dreaming about her and I knew right then to write this article. She is the one who gave me hope when all the elders scolded me for my carelessness regarding studies, she is the one who gossips with me over phone about our mothers, she is the one who can turn poor jokes into great ones by supporting them with her Horse-like laughter, or so my aunt says. She is the sister I love with all my heart. Even though I went on to become a student of literature, her wise words of becoming a Happylogist still stay with me when I am sad, her words bring back my lost hope in life. 

Comments

Pramod said…
I didn't know Lisi wrote such an adult like letter to you. Really inspiring. Now why don't you practice it?

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply