Skip to main content

Literature, Delhi And I

In my first year, I was shocked by the attitude of the people in the ‘city of my dreams’. In my second year, I was shattered as my beautiful childhood seemed no more than a big lie. In my third year, I was devastated failing to accept the meaninglessness of life and the sorry state of the country I live in.

If I am asked someday about my graduation, then I would speak the aforementioned lines to define it. These lines do not provide the beauty that Literature is assigned with; the beauty that can be seen and appreciated even by the non-literati. But here I am whining about the life literature gave me. More than often I have said to my friends that literature has the ability to ruin one’s life no matter how much s/he romanticizes it; the life in which one is happy obsessing about the self in the tiny bubble that s/he thinks to be the entire world. But am I really upset about it?

After the result of my board examination was out, I went to my Dad and said that I wanted to pursue English Literature instead of MBBS. All my dad did was ask me to fill the forms for the same in Delhi University despite the fact that my other family members wanted me to drop a year and pursue MBBS. Moving to Delhi, getting into DU for that matter, was like a dream come true. The people I met in Delhi judged me by the skin colour, befriended according to the class and were more interested in my caste than in my ideologies. So was it as beautiful as my dream?

Delhi was a new chapter in my book of life, and literature was the protagonist with theatre as its mate. If there was one place where I wasn’t judged by my name and colour then it was the theatre society of my college, where my voice was heard and ideology considered. So yes, my life changed. It upset me, it devastated me but more than that it helped me grow, mature and move on from the unnecessary little things that I fussed over.

Literature isn’t merely reading a novel and summarizing it, as the general idea of people outside the world of literature might be.  It isn’t merely reading between the lines, analyzing the author’s intent to pass in the exam. It is in fact about the society, the culture, the tradition we live in and the people we live with. Literature, along with theatre, made me question the society I live in, the person I am. Am I, after all, the person I would have been had society not interfered in my growth?  Literature taught me that it is okay if I do not fit into the society, it is okay if I question the religions, traditions, the stereotypes I was born into and the ones who make it, it is okay if I stand for my own self without bending in front of patriarchy, it is okay to question the notion of patriotism and nationalism, it is okay to question everything we were taught in school as the universal truth when it was not, it is okay to question the institution of marriage, it is okay in fact to question the meaning/meaninglessness of life, it is okay to demand the right to make my own identity and not follow the one that has been made for me by my family or society for that matter and so much more. It taught me that it is after all okay to think in the country I live in.

People say literature made me a rebel. I say it simply fueled the rebel inside me. People say literature is inferior to Science. I say they go hand in hand. People say teaching is the only job I can do in this field. I say we need more teachers who teach beyond the syllabus and introduce us to the reality of the state affairs. People say I have wasted my life. I say nothing better could have happened in my life. People say why this when it makes me sadder every day. I say I have my moments of fun and pleasure but am I supposed to be happy when the intellectuals of the country deprive me of a place in its culture.


So yes, studying literature specifically in Delhi has changed my life. It made me a person I never knew I could become. My life changed, it changed for the good.


This post has been written for housing.com and their #StartANewLife campaign. Check out there concept video here :

Comments

Devam said…
I love it!😃

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply