Skip to main content

So what if I had Cancer?

I don’t quite remember the days when I suffered from cancer. I ended up romanticizing them as they brought the greater Good to my life. If optimism was my weapon then, I am left weaponless now. In introspection, I have now come to believe that the only reason that I lasted the crucial period of my chemotherapy was because for the most part I had doctors, nurses, sick people and more sick people around me. What I mean to say here is that, I had no or very few Normal people who cared for me enough to give me a list of do(s) and don’t(s) or lectures about self care.

When people ask, 'How are you?', they do not really want an answer. Well in my case, they simply seek for an opportunity to let me know how careless I am or have been. I feel bad that they use even an ounce of their energy to say things to me because by now I am skilled in the art of shutting my ears to people I don’t want to hear. People mean good, at the same time they mean nothing at all. The people I meet everyday ask about my health, maybe they care or maybe their parents taught them as a kid to be Polite when you meet a sick person. From where I see it, ‘How are you?’ is purely involuntary.

The best thing about cancer, if you ask me, is that people fear to talk about it. I wonder how it is such a widely spread notion that one should not make the sick person feel that s/he is sick. So obviously then, asking about health issues/life to the sick one is a Taboo. I encouraged every one; go on ask me about my leukemia and in the end everyone tagged me brave for having facing it and being able to talk about it in such a sportive manner. Well, they gave me my tiny little happy bubble.

The worst thing now is that I am sick and it’s not cancer. So people have their Social license to talk about me in my presence because obviously if it is not cancer- it’s not huge- it won’t hurt me- so let’s chat! Why don’t you take care of yourself, why are you sick all the time, drink milk, eat fruits, take your meals at time, so on and so forth. The mystery of people repeating the same things over and over again without any positive result is a big one. I don’t think I can unravel it. In fact, I think I don’t even want to unravel it.

I am an attention seeking child. I like being pampered all the time. I hate it when somebody apart from me is the centre of attention. But over the years I have wished for no attention at all. I won’t be happy but I won’t be mentally tortured either. To know that people are feeling helpless at a distance, they are taking errands to the hospital everyday makes me feel like a burden on them. They wouldn’t want me to feel so, I guess. They love and care, I understand. They have every right to get mad at me.
 

They say I am careless, I choose to ruin my life. If only they look back into the pages of past and realize that I was the person who Danced! Today I am a body whose soul is continuously sucked by the dementors but never completely out. In this world of never being happy again, I would appreciate people who do not continuously voice their concern but do whatever it is in their hands to help me. I would like to have a conversation without any hint of my health issues in it; I would like to talk about my life beyond my body, about my ideas and thoughts. I would like not to be reminded that I am after all a dysfunctional body, over and over again. This post might seem pessimistic to some and might offend numerous people. The anger, the helplessness, the frustration might have poisoned my mind unlike the sheer optimism that cancer brought in my life. Well, it is what it is!

Comments

Pramod said…
Very expressive feelings beautifully portrayed. But if the body is not sound how can anyone interact with you? Your beautiful soul is manifested through your body only and therefore, it is necessary to take care of the same. Your unidirectional thoughts make you believe that your soul is being sucked by those who care about you. We want you to live a long happy life for the sake of yourself as well as others. The body needs to be cared for as the soul cannot exist without it. And if at all it exists mortals will not be able to interact with it. Be cool and calm, think over it and be responsible. Nobody will gain anything if you are hale and hearty. Nobody will lose anything if you are sick. People who care for you are tormented to see you in pain. There is no harm in maintaining the vehicle called "the body" to prevent it from breaking down permanently. We respect your spirit but not your decision to neglect the body. Introspect and decide for yourself. It is after all the choices we make that decide the course of our lives.
Be blessed.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply