Skip to main content

That thing about Promises!

 “Promise is promise. Everything cannot be defined.”

“Saying something to make the other person believe.”

“Something in which you happily commit to do something no matter what happens.”

“Words to provide a sense of trust.”

"Something that's meant to be fulfilled."

“Promise is something that is made to show love to someone.”

And so replied a few of my close friends when I asked, what is a promise according to you?

What is a promise according to me? It is a piece of crap that people feed each other when things start to screw up. NO. Not really. This is how I see the word being used around me. What is a promise according to me? Instead of using my own words, I would quote the best answer that I received in my little survey, “Something you should not go back on. And something you should be very miser about. Not to be made to anyone and everyone.”  [I am quoting this woman for the second time on my blog, I am sure she is happy about it.]

This is what I was looking for. I wanted one other person to share my outlook if not all. And honestly, this answer made me smile for a long time. There was a time when I used to say, promises, like rules, are meant to be broken. Every time my parents asked me to promise them something, I bluntly denied. No matter how much it hurts, but I am not feeding you with any false hope of something that I am never going to do. I am allergic to promises. I repel them. When I am asked to promise something, the next thing I want to do is break it.

My friend said, what is so wrong about making a promise?

I gave her the look saying what is right about it! Today I make a promise and tomorrow things change, situations change, the person I made the promise to changes and so do I, but I still cannot undo the promise I once made. It is not about what people think, it is about what I think. Promises are fragile and are meant to be handled with a lot of care. My carelessness and fickle mindedness can’t take the risk of making a promise and not breaking it.

It’s all in your head, she said. Maybe. As long as it saves me from further guilt trips, I do not really care.

Promises are fine as long as people involved realize that they shouldn’t bind each other any day because of something they said earlier. One shouldn’t back on. True. But what if the need be so? Another friend who shares my MANTAL sickness completely said, promises are something that you say and stick to. But you can always change and modify them. Though this made me think for a while, but then I got it. i haven’t met a single soul who would tell me he is certain about the future. We like to believe that what we want is what will happen. But in most of the cases it doesn’t. So why not just modify the words with mutual consent?

In my 20 long revolutions around sun, I have seen broken relationships more than the ones well kept. Call me a pessimist if you want to, but all kinds of a relationship comes with baggage. And promises when made in distress only make the baggage heavier. If a person wants to be with you, wants to believe you, he/she will find a way anyway. A futile promise so that things might not fall apart is not necessary.

Having recently promised something to a friend, my mind debated if I did the right thing. Initially it seemed to me that the one promise which I made to a very close friend, after all these years of running away from commitments, was an instant reaction when things seemed to fall apart. A few thoughts later it seemed that that day the promise which I had already made in my head got a voice. The thing about promises is that they need not be loud words every time, silent whispers do just fine and also provide with a better sense of intimacy.

And yes I am a miser when it comes to promises. A single promise in five goddamn years seems fine to me. This doesn’t mean I am now fond of promises, but yes once made, I am sure for the first time in ages that I am not going back. For a change, I am going to keep it safe and sound as long as I can. Forever is still not in the scenario, it is always ‘as long as I can.’


And just because all this while I spoke of making a promise doesn’t mean I like to accept promises. If you’re really close friend of mine, then you surely have witnessed my denial in accepting promises. And it seemed really weird of me to not have rambled on my blog for a long time, so I just had to write this one. I just had to let this out of my mind.

Image Source- Google
PS- This piece of writing is my take on the subject and no offences are intended. :)

Comments

Viyoma said…
Very straight forward post. Fully agree that, a promise once made needs to be adhered to. (Else better not make it). But I m sure you would agree- Promise is a very first step towards commitment. In a steady relationship ( read marriage) to succeed, we have to make a promise to ourselves that we will stay committed to this relationship forever. For some people, circumstances may not allow the couple to stay together - but that does not mean- we start a relationship without a promise. On a lighter note, a promise of never accepting a promise - is also a promise. :) Enjoyed reading your blog -will come bk for more.
Yes promise is the very first step to commitment. my point here being that promises should be made when one wants to make them and not because it is the general idea that such and such promises should be made in such and such relationship. Promise just should not be misused like it is being these days. and thank you for reading my blog. :)
Pramod said…
Some wise man said,"Take time to make a promise. But once made see that you live up to it, even at the cost of your life." I came across this line as a child even before I touched my teens.I never analysed this but simply followed it. Don't know why. I am very miserly in making promises. But if I promise once I see to it that I fulfill the commitment. Even a tempest or tornado can not come on my way. I sometimes cross all social and legal barriers to keep my promise. The Occasion to dedicate life has not come yet. But if it comes I am sure I will not back out. What life has taught me in the past half century is that You do not promise things to others. You promise to yourself, you commit yourself to do something. In any relationship by promising you are just committing yourself to maintain that relationship, you are not giving anything to the other person nor you are compelling the other person to be committed to the relationship. It is very aptly depicted in the Bollywood super hit "Mohabattein" - when you are in love just you are committed to that love- It is not necessary that the other person involved is equally committed to that love. You are young now. Many waves will come and go and dash your mind. Take your time and think several times before committing anything. But once committed there should be no going back or changing track. Promises must be kept even at the cost of one's life. And for a human being nothing is more valueable than his/her own life.
I was eagerly waiting to read your comment. I am glad you did. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply