Skip to main content

Love? Friendship? Choice?

“Pyaar? Pyaar dosti hai. Agar wo meri sabse achi dost nahi hai to mai usse kabhi pyaar kar hi nahi sakta kyun ki dosti bina to pyaar hota hi nahi. Simple, pyaar dosti hai.”
Born in the last decade of the twentieth century, I have actually grown up believing and learning this celebrated quote by heart from the coming of age romantic comedy Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. This movie is one of those few bollywood hits which I love beyond all the logics. There are flaws. I find a new one every time I sit down with my Dad to watch this movie. Apparently neither of us minds leaving work undone to watch this particular film. We make fun; we sing the songs together; we question each other on the contradiction the two halves of the movie make. We love the movie in the end anyway.

A snapshot from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Image source- Google


So why after 16 years am I showing my love for this movie?

Because it taught me the basic necessity of being in a relationship which I see most of the relationship these days lack.

The boy and the girl see each other- talk for a while- propose to be in a relationship- (if accepted) - go on a few dates-start having problems- continue having problems- never end having problems- break up- still have problems.

Yes the dates happen after the proposal and I still haven’t learnt the logic behind this. Someday I will. But the most crucial thing which goes unnoticed in the above process is friendship. There is no time given for the roots of the relationship to strengthen.

Best friends from the same gender are completely acceptable because we haven’t quite given in to homosexuality. Best friends from different genders create a million problems because the concept is not acceptable. If a boy has a girlfriend and a girl best friend at the same time, the girlfriend surely has the constant fear of losing her mate to his best friend. The same goes for any girl in the same situation as the boy. And the situation isn't pretty. Having to choose between your best friend and your mate is one of those choices which everyone dreads, or so I believe. You need to keep both the sides aware of their importance in your life. Secrecy is acceptable only if you're smart enough to not let any suspicion to arise. But what if your mate becomes your best friend?

Between best friends, you don’t have to know everything immediately. You end up knowing everything in the end anyway. There is an understanding of letting things go, not staying on particular subjects for long. There is no space for insecurities, once arose are taken care of immediately. You speak your mind out knowing they won’t judge you or leave you. If they had to, they would have much before when the seeds of friendship were being sown. There isn’t a requirement of talking endlessly every day. You know that even if you do not send a Hi every day, they would be there for you when you need them no matter which place on earth they reside in, no matter how far it is. [Listen to the title track of F.R.I.E.N.D.S, it says all about friendship]

No words and promises are needed. There is a mutual silent commitment of sticking together; holding each other’s back being partners till the end if there is one. No matter how many girlfriends/boyfriends they have, you do not need to worry because in the end they are coming back to you. You know all their flaws yet accept them the way they are instead of trying to change them. You're not blind, you're just comfortable with their imperfections. They will do anything and everything they can for you knowing that you will do the same for them without a second thought. Somehow or the other a bond so strong is formed that there is hardly any fear of loss and insecurities. By the end of it, you’re in love with your best friend but do not have to use I love you to express it to them, a few swear words do the job for you!

Sometimes friends become mates, sometimes they remain just friends and at times the bond dwells without a name. It is nothing but just a matter of choice that most of the times your sub conscious makes for you before you consciously acknowledge it.

You may not fall in love with your best friend. It isn’t mandatory. But it is important that the person you love is your best friend. Sometimes it is wise to take a step back, and nurture the roots of a relationship to strengthen before it starts growing. So that when it finally dies, it is a natural death instead of the cut of an axe.

Source- The facebook page of Akash Gautam, one of my mentors.


PS- After years of blind belief, I finally understood the meaning of Rahul’s words in the movie. Sometimes I can't help but fall in love with the crazy person I am.

Comments

Pramod said…
Friendship between a boy and a girl was depicted for the first time in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Probably that is why the movie is so famous. Anyway, Friendship is the best of all human relationships because it does not stand on expectations. People do not make friends to get something from them. Friends are always accepted as they are. All other relationships try to make you fall into a mould. They try to change you as per their requirement. Love in friendship is unconditional and beautiful.
It seems si nice to know that you and I share the same views. I have been reading this comment over and over again. you said it in such a beautiful manner. Coming from a father, it made the daughter really happy. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply