Skip to main content

Optimism needs a BREAK too!

A couple of months back when I was at Christian Medical College, Vellore for my half yearly checkups, my blood reports showed an increment in the normal sugar level. It wasn’t high but it was marginal, mostly on the higher side. It had been the same 6 months ago too. I had considered myself lucky enough for not getting another bunch of medicines for controlling my sugar level. But during the last meet, the doctor mentioned that if the level doesn’t come down then I may have to take insulin injections every night.

Needles do not scare me, they never did. What does scare me is the thought of not leading a normal life or what I think normal to be. Millions of teenagers may be suffering from cancer in the world, but I do not really care or at least I do not want to. The happiest moment during my CMC days was when my doctor said after the treatment got over that “You’re a free bird now.” After four long years of medication, injections, side effects, it was one thing that gave me the pleasure of paradise.

Long ago in my innocence I may have wanted to experience cancer but I never signed up for its after effects, not the negative ones at least. I suffered from acute pancreatitis as fallout of the chemotherapy. And I may suffer from it in future too. Now it has no connections with the chemotherapy but it still keeps coming back to me as if there exists some kind of a magnetic bond between us which turns on and off in the course of time. Not that it upsets me, but I am just tired, tired of suffering, tired of taking care of myself, tired of the fact that no one really understands and I know I can’t even mourn about it.

I have always said that my tears evaporate on their way from my heart to the eyes and come out as sad vapors instead. However I cried that day when my mom said after meeting the doctor that probably I have to take care of my food habits like my grandfather does. She said that crying won’t do anything. What she may/may not have understood was that a certain thought never left my mind-‘It has been five years, how much more? I have been an optimist, but I can’t win over devil all the time because now I am tired of fighting the negativity. I do not want to give a damn about anything and do all that I want to do without any restriction.’

There is this wound called cancer somewhere inside my head which is as exposed to everything as a naked rock. It burns every time someone mentions that my hair used to be nice seeing my tremendous hair fall now; every time someone says I can’t stay alone because they can’t trust me, anything can happen to me anytime, every time I am said to take care of myself! I know people care and worry about me and I am really thankful and glad about their presence in my life, but then I just can’t make myself follow everything everyone says.  For a little period of time I want to be independent and see how I get along. Someday when I am on my deathbed, I want to look back at my screwed up life and smile at every mistake that I made on my own and not blame anyone. I just want to be a free bird that wanders off but still finds the way that seems right to it in the end!

Sometimes you try your best but still things do fall apart. A mere ache somewhere brings back the idea of cancer. And the thought of not being able to fight for a second time isn’t really something you want to think about. Sometimes nothing seems right. You are tired of believing that everything happens for a reason and now want to know the reason. Sometimes you just want to let go off your sad thoughts, but everyone expects the glorious story of a fighter. Sometimes you just give up, not for ever but for some period of time. You do not become a loser then but simply need a break to be ready to get back to the game!! Optimism too takes a break, in case it doesn’t end!

And then you always come to the realization that the solution to every disturbing thought is a blog post.


PS- Do not get the idea that asking me about my leukemia would hurt me. In fact it is the one thing that makes me happy and proud. But then just make sure that you understand where the wound is steal healing and make sure to not sprinkle the ocean salt over it. And for the record, my sugar level is getting back within the normal range. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Why the hell do you always make me cry??? I know your desieas was 100% times bigger than mine, but still we share same thoughts... Just loved your blog... As I said earlier you give new reasons to me to live again... And again I am here with a reason... Thank you... And you also try to find some way... I know you will definitely find it... All the best... :)
I am glad dear that somehow I am helping you. And thanks for reading. take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply