Skip to main content

Hasratein and the Bygone Days... :-)

I seem to have a habit of getting to the extremity of my emotional self by missing people whom, with the course of time, I have come to like more than I thought I liked and then write a blog post. [;-) :-P] I hated the people of Delhi so badly during the initial months of my stay there, reasons were many! I kept wondering, why of all places I always wanted to be in Delhi? Was it because my paternal family has been residing there for decades now or was it because I couldn’t resist being somewhere else given the fact that my brother landed up in Delhi? Questions were many with a simple answer- It was just the curious mind of a little girl who visited her grandparents every summer in Delhi but never actually got to see and explore the city!

Now having spent almost a year in Delhi, people at my hometown ask me how I like the place. And I find it hard to answer. Like I said I hated being in Delhi in the beginning and now I am longing to go back to that place. I say to them, after a certain thought, that now I am in love with Delhi.

It is not the beautifully designed historical monuments that attract me, it is not the crowded Connaught place that attracts me, it is not the underground metros that I love travelling in attract me, it is not the food courts of the malls or the chat streets that keep me attracted! What keeps me attached to Delhi is the Dramatics Society of my college, Ram Lal Anand - HASRATEIN!

Being a part of drama society had always been on the top of my bucket list which got struck off not so easily. I had no experience in acting and I still suffer from acute stage fright. My journey in Hasratein marked the beginning of my happiness at Delhi. For the first time I met a group of people who did not ask my caste as soon as they came to know my name. That attracted me the most because ‘CASTE’ was something really important to the people I initially met there. (I still do not understand why!)

The warm ups before the practice actually took the ‘tiny amount’ of stamina out of me and I was hardly left with any energy to be my usual ‘chatter chatter’ self. Even though the people there were all welcoming, I couldn’t make myself to be comfortable with them. I totally adore them not only for their acting skills but also for the personality they carried. I got the nick name 'Cadbury' by one of the senior members of the society and I completely love being called so. 

As the time passed, I looked forward for the classes to get over so that I could get to the practice. The scorching heat, the thorny dried grasses, the dirty clothes after the practice in college ground, my parents’ constant suggestion to quit dramatics because it left me drained out at the end of the day, my unstable health conditions were some drawbacks that I faced. And I remember shouting back at my parents over the phone that no matter what happens; I am not leaving the society- not now not ever! Yes, I meant every single word. This was something I really wanted to be a part of.

Even though I did not know how to act I was learning. If it were not for Hasratein then I wouldn’t have bothered to think about the India-Pakistan partition and prostitution which were the themes of the play ‘SORRY’ which for some reasons couldn’t be enacted. Euthanasia wasn’t even a word in my world even though it is one of the major social issues though not much talked about. It was our play ‘Deergh Aayu Bhawa’ that made me think about and understand the concept of Euthanasia and Death with Dignity.

I hate getting wet in rain but practicing for our first performance of the year completely drenched in rain was a wonderful moment. (People who have known my hatred for rain wouldn’t believe it but it is true.) I was utterly sad when the whole Hasratein went for the IIT, Khadagpur Spring fest leaving me behind. It was my choice to stay back considering my 'then' health problems. I remember waking up every morning with a gloomy mood and talking to my roommate just about Hasratein. I am not leaving any such opportunity in future. Days passed by and with every practice, I fell in love with the team which eventually became family!
Hasratein performing 'Deergh Aayu Bhawa' at IIT, Kharagpur.


The warm ups, continuous run throughs, the last minute improvisations, the kattas during the play, the bakchodi during the breaks, the repeated practice of the songs from 'suno dekho to gali gali ab sheher sheher', the bread pakodas and samoses, the one lunch box being shared by 15 people, the Razia and Samim (the characters of our stage play Lakeer), the grudge round and every single moment that I spent with Hasratein  in last one year has been precious. Hasratein was the reason why I smiled in Delhi. I feel sad about not having given my 100% to the society, but I am glad I am still in there.


It’s been more than 48 hours that I have been longing to go back to college and meet these awesome people who have been a crucial part of my life in such a less time! Making a status update on facebook couldn’t bring peace to my mind, I hope now with this blog post my mind comes to rest though not missing Hasratein is still out question! [ ;-) ]

Hasratein 2013!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply