Skip to main content

Air India- Yuvraj Singh- Cancer


Flight journeys I do not prefer. Something inside my skull goes wrong. Yet again, here I am writing this from Air India’s Flight number AI 473 taking me from New Delhi to Bhubaneswar. Well this is my first flight trip alone. The one reason why I was excited for this flight is that it takes off from Terminal 3, Indira Gandhi International Airport and my last flight from here made me meet the Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh. I was looking forward to meet some famous persona this time too. And also I feel like mentioning here the one reason why I like travelling in Air India, the air hostesses aren’t beautiful enough and the pilots are always hot and handsome.

But anyway I did not start writing because I wanted to let you know about the above details. Well, I had planned to watch the movie ‘Brave’ which I took from my friend recently and here I am typing a blog post. [Seriously God, when will the day come when my smallest plan would work?]

While waiting for the flight to take off, I just took up the newspapers (Surprising! I am not a newspaper reader) and found Yuvraj Singh’s article ‘Taking guard Against Cancer.’ A part of me is always jealous of this cricketer. But anyway I started reading the article wanting to know what he has got to say this time.

“The thought of dying can be frightening and the possibility comes with its own sets of questions about the future. I struggled with frustration, pain and doubt, in what was quite easily the biggest test of my life- my battle with cancer.”

“…In fact to be honest many things hit me all at the same time. Self denial- how can this happen to me? I had to deal with both of them- the self imposed stigma and the fear of death. Thinking about those days in hospital brings back memories that I try to block out even today.”

These lines struck me. Yuvraj and I both fought and won over cancer but our vision of it is way too different. Even though I agreed with those parts of the article where he spoke of being on guard and not ignoring the symptoms but I couldn’t make myself to agree with the above mentioned lines.

I wasn’t told in the beginning that I suffered from Cancer so I had no fear of the C-word. The thought of dying did strike me every now and then. But I wasn’t afraid to die rather I was more interested in imagining what would happen if I die. ‘How long would my family mourn over my death? How long would I stay in my friends’ memories? How would the then crush of my life react if he got to know that I had a serious crush on him? Who would my brother fight with, how would my father survive? Etc.’
Yes, it may sound crazy, completely maddening but this is what I used to think about.

And when it comes to cancer, it made me believe in God. No, not because I prayed and survived but because my prayers of suffering from Brain tumor were answered. Yes, I was that weird kid who wished for tumor in every happy and sad moment not knowing what it is but thinking it’s something interesting and new. Leukemia at an initial stage was enough to make me stop asking for such things. [:-P]

Never in the last six years have I asked myself or God, how can this happen to me or why did this happen to me? The latter may have struck me once in a while because I felt I was the reason for the sufferings of people around me, my family. Only after reading Yuvraj’s piece of writing, I realized that at least once the former question should have crossed my thought process. But it hadn’t.

If you’ve been through any of my previous writings about my leukemia then you surely know how much I am in love with the hospital where I was treated. I have never tried to block my memories; they are both sweet and sour. Sour ones I do not usually talk about. But never have I wanted to forget them. In fact I am afraid that with time those horrifying yet beautiful days are fading.

I had no particular intention of writing another piece on my cancer. In fact my plans for this 2 hour journey were to watch a movie, think about the friends whom I may/may not meet again and obviously analyze my favorite topic- love and relationships. And see how I ended up. It is just because I felt I am abnormal [Serious Tone, no kidding] Weird because I never thought about death, the way it strikes most of the people. Even though I dread suffering from cancer again, I am not sad about the one I already suffered from.
 
This time I am not crying in pain, not reading Eric Segal’s Love Story (which I did not like by the way), not wondering about Ranveer Singh, Not watching Paan Singh Tomar, Not worrying about the INR 1500 that I had to pay for extra luggage; instead I am writing, something that I love to do. Though my mood has been serious since last couple of hours, but I guess this journey I am not going to forget.

I am sorry to disappoint those cricket fans who clicked on this post to find something/anything related to cricket or the cricketer. [:-/]

Comments

Pramod said…
Nicely written. I am yet to a human being more brave than you. Can anybody except you enjoy cancer? That's why you are so special to me.
hahaha... All one needs to do is start appreciating what they have because cribbing hasn't got then anywhere ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply