Skip to main content

Science to Arts? LOL :D


Eight months ago- "I am neither getting into a medical college nor am I going to drop a year for its preparation! I did not study in last 2years, so, what makes you think I will open the biology book again after all these months. I think I would be doing English Honors now."


Friend No. 1 -
"You're interested in reading and writing so English seems good for you but no matter what it is, thinking of changing the stream from Science to Arts is such a shameful thought. I mean if you do so, what was the profit of reading PCB? I can't think of it. Log kya kahenge?"

Friend No. 2-
"Oye majak hai kya? You read biology for 2years and now you are talking of English? What the hell are you thinking?"

Friend No. 3-
"What? English? HAHAHA. You're opting for medical, isn't it? English? HAHAHA "

Friend No. 4-
"What are you going to do after graduation then? Be a teacher? LOL"

Relatives-
"You're our only hope. When it comes to being a doctor, we expect it from you. Don't you like biology? You said you wanted to be a doctor, then how come now you're thinking of English? Anyway, nothing is in our hands. You never know what your destiny is."

You got me right; the above were a few reactions to my decision of studying English Honors instead of Medical Science. Your reaction to the situation may have been similar to ones mentioned above. Till today, I haven't come across anyone apart from my parents and brother who completely support my decision of changing the stream. That's what a family is for, isn't it? - If that's what you think you'd enjoy doing and you're sure about it, then we're with you.
Now a bit of past to get the present right…

Early in my school days I wrote about being a teacher, dancer etc but being a doctor never occurred to me. I had a number of ambitions then, like, astronaut, Choreographer, Actor, Music director, Journalist and many more... Most of them related to the reel world. Being a doctor was something I hated. Reason? I don't know. I had made up my mind to do anything apart from MBBS.

Just when I thought everything was fine, when I was among the toppers of my class, when I thought that no matter what happens I will remain good at studies forever; destiny greedily changed its mind. I found myself away from school and studies at a hospital with saline drips all over my body. Being continuously affected by the side effect of my leukemia's treatment I had announced to be an oncologist to research about medicines and invent a treatment without any side effects. I was away from books for almost a year and once back, I was told to study as much as I can. At first I had the zeal to prove myself. I was praised for doing well in such a hard time which eventually made me over confident leading to my downfall in XI and XII. I hated Physics, Chemistry and Biology more than ever. The only subject that interested me was English, initially because it did not need much reading, or so I thought.

I had always been a reader, genetic it is, I think. It started with reading comics and short stories and made its way to reading novels to which now I am completely addicted. Reading then helped me to start writing and then came the thought of studying English. Being bad at expressing myself while talking and most of the times ending up with misinterpretations/misunderstandings, I started to express myself via writing. And slowly it became my escape from the whole world. PCMB were forgotten by me when I was in the middle of my XII. I knew I no more wanted to be a doctor. Once my brother had pointed out that I had no interest in medical; I was simply interested in my leukemia. Even though I knew he was right, I failed to accept it then because somewhere somehow I was living under the notion that I would be a doctor.

Everyone in my family had expectations, hopes and beliefs and I didn't want to turn them down, I did not want to hurt them and also did not know what I wanted to do, so I remained silent.

I had always been a confused soul. Most of the times I thought of being an actor as that's what I dreamed of the most when I was a kid. My stage fright made me keep that dream aside. Once I started blogging, I shared my views of picking up English with my parents. They agreed and asked me to keep it as a back up as I hadn’t said NO to science. The board exams were a complete disaster. I guess I had appeared every medical entrance in India. I was so frustrated with myself that I never opened the book to study anymore, I knew I won't get into any medical college, I didn't want to, but still I didn't say NO. Finally when the results came up and I was selected in none I gathered up every ounce of courage in me and said the NO which I should have said long ago. 

Then the concentration shifted to English and my father also suggested psychology knowing that I had a great interest in counseling people around me. A few Google searches helped me to choose Psychology and English. And yet I was again confused! I tried for both and as luck would have it, I got into English. Delhi University was perfect for me as I always wanted to be in Delhi.

Today- I studied Science in high school with the hope of becoming a doctor and now I am doing English Honors at Ram Lal Anand College, DU. Half a year ago I was worried about my decision. I wasn’t sure if it was wise to choose English or not. Now in my second semester, I am proud to have chosen to change the stream because I have realized that it’s not about putting a few equations at the right place and scoring the best, it’s about you and simply you hidden within every character you study. Right now I am happy being a part of literature and can’t even imagine myself in any other course.

Life has always been a roller coaster ride with mistakes, confusions, lessons, realizations, grief along with elation, joy and happiness. Today there are a few people who are still upset about my choice and haven’t talked to me in last eight months. And when they do it’s always about what a great folly I did. Now such reactions hardly matter to me. After all it’s my life. I may not know what I actually want to be but I surely know what I don't want to be which will eventually lead me to where I stand. It will take a lot of time and I am not in a hurry.

Taking decisions for your own life gives you satisfaction even if they turn out wrong. There are no regrets because you did what you wanted to do. Being afraid of committing mistakes, spoiling your life will never actually let you live life. Experiment with yourself. Do what makes you happy and not what would make others happy. Enjoy!




Comments

Amrita said…
Always remember that it is your inalienable right to change track at any point of time in life. Whatever your reasons for the change might be, you do not even have to explain it to anybody. why should your decision to change stream be questioned? you are the one person who has to LIVE each of your decisions. I am glad that you have the courage and conviction to change if anything does not feel right to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply