Skip to main content

Friends...Can they be??

Joey-Phoebe-Ross-Monica-Chandler-Rachel!
Barney-Robin-Ted-Marshal-Lily!
Harry-Hermione-Ron!

And on and on and on. . .

Can a guy and a girl be friends?

My theory- A guy and a girl can be best friends as long as a confusing 'why' erupts in one's brain eventually finding it's way to the heart.

"When something amazing happens, he is the first one she wants to tell. He is not afraid to tell her when she is with a wrong guy. He is the first one she calls when things are going wrong. He is the first one there when she needs a shoulder to cry on. Her friends wonder why they're not together yet. He knows when things aren't right. He knows her PMS days and makes sure to annoy her the least then. He makes fun of the romantic or the mind boggling novels she reads but still respects her passion for reading. He is amazing in every single way and treats her better than any other guy will ever do. Every girl wants him but she has him."

"She knows everything about him. She calls him out on everything he does wrong. She helps him impress his crush and buy gifts for his girlfriend. She knows his favorite x-rated sites, she probably doesn't like it but still sticks by his side. She loves him unconditionally even though she has seen the worst part of him, she will do anything to make sure him happy. She knows how he feels when he speaks a word. She is by his side when he is vulnerable, which is quite rare. She believes in the person she knows him to be no matter who he thinks himself to be. She is someone he can be stupid and sarcastic with. When people see them together, they long for such a friendship."

A guy and a girl can be strongly attracted to each other when they are poles apart. There are maximum chances of both of them falling for each other when they are best friends forever. But there are chances of not being in love when both of them know each other in and out and are aware of the expectations and desires from life and their partners. They can love each other and still have different partners whom they equally love. There also may be times, when they don't realize how much they mean to each other till a third soul interferes. 

I guess I am blabbering just to prove my point that a girl and a guy can be simply best friends loving each other but not falling for each other. Finding the love of your life in your best friend is an awesome feeling but the feeling is even better when he/she remains the same even after having a relationship with someone else. This proves the strength of friendship. Obviously there's a bit of insecurity every now and then but they get over it. And in case they fall in love with each other, the better of them prefers to be BFFs instead of starting a romantic relationship.

I do not know much about the topic but I believe in what I know. Their friendship starts even before they realize, they think they are just friends but in the end a bond is formed- a bond so strong that one never finds the right word to explain it. Naming such a friendship as love actually restricts the flexibility of the same. 

Not many people would agree with what I say now and I wont ask them to, for may be my thoughts find another way someday. Brain and heart together place all the traps. ;-)

Comments

Amrita said…
Of course, a boy and a girl can be friends. They CAN love each other and enjoy each other's company without the trappings of romantic affair. It is only in movies and romantic literature that they insist that if the girl and the boy don't get married in the end then it is not the Happy ending. I feel that this is quite absurd to assume that if you do not have romantic inclinations toward a person of opposite sex then the depth of your feeling and affection for that person is somewhat less than ultimate. Contrarily, i feel that friendship is quite underrated. When it is free from the roller coaster of romantic emotions, a friendship between the opposite sex can be quite soothing and supportive and immensely valuable too. :)
Amrita said…
You would realise the absurdity of this assumption when you read "PYgmalion" by G.B.Shaw. He insisted on a non romantic ending of his play and refused to accept that Prof. Higgins should fall in love with Eliza at the end of the play and both of them should get married and live happily ever after. why should that be so? Not all teacher's fall in love with there students, do they? Although, in the movie "My Fair Lady" Shaw's ending was changed and the hero and the heroine were brought together. But then this shows that movies follow a different logic than real life :)
Your words are really very supportive because not many people agree with what I say. I haven't made sharp points here because I did not know how to write how I feel about the guy-girl friendship. Your words, my feelings. :)
I will make sure to read the book and watch the movie as well, Thank you for letting me know about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply