Skip to main content

Welcome To The REALITY!

"What's your name?"
"Akankshya"

"What's your caste?"
"I'm sorry?"

"You eat idli sambhar every day?"
"No, why should i?"

"You're a South Indian na?"
"No, I am not."

"Oh..ok, which state are you from then?"
"Orissa"

"It's in South."
"No, it's not among the South Indian states!"

"Ok"

Jagriti Vihar(MCL, Sambalpur), a place where I have spent around 16 years of my life before coming to Delhi. In that place I have seen people from most of the regions, religions, caste and creed. I have seen the fairest of a face to the darkest. I have celebrated all kinds of festivals from Lohri to Teej to Pongal which we, as Odia people do not actually celebrate. The only reason why we did so was because we were in Jagriti Vihar. As far as I know, every child who has been in JV never wants to leave the place.

When someone became my friend it was because who he/she was. Even today I do not know what my best friend's dad does. It never mattered to me which class/caste she belonged to. It's not like I would first find out her caste/family's profession/religion and then shake a hand with her. It never occured in my mind to ask. In my friend circle I had a Sikh, a Christian and a Muslim. After so many years of friendship I have never been said that you're a hindu and he is a muslim or she is a sikh or christian. When all of us were together in the same place, religion played no role at all and today, its the same.

When I was shifting to Delhi from Sambalpur, I knew it would not be easy. But I had no idea what would bother me the most. I had always heard about the not-so-good Hindu-Muslim relations but never had witnessed it. Here I saw couple of my friends saying that they wouldn't want a Mohammaden to be their friend. Then I heard one thinking ill of them, being afraid of them. I was speechless. My BFF is a muslim and he is one of the best persons I have known.

Another shocker was the caste. Before your name, your surname is important. When sometimes I talk about my old friends, someone would ask which caste does your friend belong to? And I wouldn't know the answer. Of course I know their surnames but which caste does the surname belong to??? It never mattered to me but it does to people here and I do not understand why. This bothers me even more.

Given the fact that my colour is dark, I was taken as a South Indian which I'm not. I was irritated in the 1st couple of months after my arrival here. Everyday atleast twice or thrice I was asked if I was a South Indian. Why? Because I am dark? Then I should just let people know that in my almost-one year stay at Vellore, I had seen some of the most beautiful and fair people belonging to south India.

Sometimes I am simply ashamed of being with such people for whom division and difference means so much.

I had always loved to call my class at school a follower of National Integration. We had the south Indians, North Indians, Gujaraties, Rajasthanis, Bengalis, Sikhs, Christian, Hindu, Muslim and we were all the same. We never felt any kind of difference between each other. All of us had 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose and a mouth. Where did the variations lie???

Pissed with all the talks of caste and creed, region and religion, Hindu and Muslims, we and they, I called up my friend and asked him, "Why did you never made me feel that you're a muslim and I am not. The difference is all around me and you've been with me so long but I never felt it but now. You've been in Delhi for a couple of years, did you feel the same???"

The suffocation by this pollution of division came out as a catharsis that day.

In the end he said, "You have been only in Sambalpur. Now you're in Delhi. It's a big city. WELCOME TO REALITY. You'll get used to it."

Though that day I came to know that he is an atheist but he was right. See, this is me. I did not know that my BFF is an atheist. I don't know now if it's a good thing to not know. Now every time I hear talks about stuffs I don't like, I remind myself "Stay calm. Welcome to the Reality."

People talk of their dream place, someday Delhi was mine and now I can't even remember why!




Comments

Anonymous said…
It is really sad to hear what you faced but it is very little you can do to change certain thought process of the people around. I face the same "reality check" each time I say I am from North East as if it doesn't exist in the map. I have been to different parts of the country and have realised that people from the east are somehow more rational, secular and modern than the rest of the parts of the country.
True it is. I only wonder that people would see how beautiful the world is only if they come out of their stereotype thinking.
Pramod said…
I am sure you realise it. And many of your generation must be feeling like you. The problem lies in the mindset of people. And our politicians do not want to solve this problem because they get their votes by caste and creed. Do not forget it when you grow up. Teach your children so that they ignore caste and religion. I think you have been brought up with no casteist and religious sentiments. It is possible to instill secularism in children right from the day of their birth. Every parent and every teacher has this responsibility. Do your best in both these roles. I am sure the society will change in due course. Optimism is the key. My caste and religion is Indian and I am proud to be one.
Your generation will bring in the change in our ageold mindset. I am more than confident about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply