Skip to main content

And I just can't let it go...


More than once I have tried to write another entry about my Leukemia in past few months but haven’t been successful. I found a couple of excuses for my failure- no regular access to laptop/PC at nights during my semester and a pretty bad writing speed with paper-pen. In the end I come to the conclusion that I hate – my memories have started to fade and I’m just not ready to let it all go. So I try and I fail.

“It’s like anything bad or scary happens, when you finish it or get through it you’re so relieved you forgot how terrifying it was or how miserable you were and you want to do it again, or you just remember the good parts, or you tell yourself it’s helped you get to the new part of yourself.”
                                                                                                                                -Cecelia Ahern, The Book of Tomorrow

The same is the case when it comes to me. I do not remember myself regretting to have cancer. It wasn't something I chose, it was something I wished for and I had no reasons to cry for my wish was granted. People said that I was brave and strong, they may have been right but as for me, I was simply happy. The first two months in the hospital showed me what could be “The WORST” in life and it made me stop cribbing for this and that. I do not remember myself thinking, ‘Life sucks’ or ‘Life isn't fair’ and I hate it when others say so.

 In the past few months I have tried day and night to remember how it felt when each part of my body ached, when I vomited everything I ate, when needles did their small dance sequences beneath my skin in search of a vein, when I was poked in every six hours, when I screamed with pain, when I was told I can’t go back home, when I was continuously taken to the treatment room, when a thin pipe was led down to my intestine through my nose, when I couldn't speak because of mucocitis, when I couldn't sleep because of pancreatitis. I remember that I screamed during each and every needle prick, skin biopsy, bone marrow test but I do not remember with what intensity. I wouldn't include my days spent in ICU here because I guess I had no feelings then, I was numb. It’s all a blur now and nothing else.

On the contrary I clearly remember how I used to irritate all the doctors, nurses and ward boys, I remember my mid-night strolls in the ward with the infusion stand in my hand, I remember how even the doctors and nurses used to tease me, I remember going for my first operation and I remember reading all the available comics and playing cards with my grandparents after the visiting hours, I remember the tasty dishes that my Aunt used to send,I remember ordering the hot and sour soup that I wasn't allowed to drink, I remember flying paper rockets with other younger patients in the ward, I remember watching TV with mom in my cabin, I remember waiting for papa every morning and I remember all the joyous moments but fail to visualize the hard times. Painful memories are equally important to me as the happy ones. If you think I am an idiot, I can't help you. ;-)

My parents, family and acquaintances say that it’s good if I fail to remember all of it but I can’t help myself. I am damn slow at moving on, no matter friends or Leukemia. To be honest, I just don't want to move on. I am just not quite ready to let it all go and the blurred picture in my mind blurs my vision.

 People say my recovery was a miracle but I believe Leukemia was the miracle. The year that followed knew a new part of me, a part which wasn’t ever sad, a part who smiled no matter what, a part who could confront anything and everything, a part who wasn’t afraid of anything, a part who could be nothing but happy, a part that formed whole of me. Sometimes I even think of reliving the past. Whenever I just start to have the thought of having cancer again, a voice within me whispers “Don’t. You know you won’t last this time.” And I stop thinking and again try to uproot the past.

I just wish I could have stored all those days somewhere with me, may be in writings before it had started to fade. No matter what others say, but to let go of it is harder than to let go of any relationships. People around me have no idea how much the thought of not remembering it kills me, they would never know because they think I’m weird in such matters. I love being this way.

If only the past could last, somewhere somehow…        
The candle lighting area at CMC, Vellore.


PS- I am not wrong about late nights and my writings. :P




Comments

Pramod said…
I vividly remember your days in the ICU. But somehow I am not able to put them in writing. I wish I get my diary which I wrote at that time. But I felt the presence of God at that time who assured me that you would be ok. Anyway, it is better to forget and move on. Clinging to the past hinders progress. You may write down your memories as a story for the posterity though.
ansup said…
truly very inspiring touched my heart.i am going to be a fan of you blogs.
I am glad...you can check out my other posts on cancer...My blog and I are a bit disorganised but I still hope you find the posts for there aren't many :P :-)
Amrita said…
I can say this with certainty that happiness is the most natural and stable state of mind for humans. We are in equilibrium when we are happy. Every time something upsets this equilibrium, it is the natural tendency if mind to make every effort to restore the state of equilibrium. That is the reason why our minds are actually predisposed to fade out painful memories. With the passage of time we do forget how much it hurt. We will neve forget the fact that it hurt... but the intensity of the pain will blurr. This is the natural and normal healing process. If you are unable to recall how much painful the treatment for cancer was for you, this means that your emotional and psychological healing is going on successfully :) The inability in some persons to forget the pain is the basic cause of depression. And we would never ever want you to be depressed, :) :) :) Do keep up your effort to pen down whatever and whenever you have the desire, because this sharing of your thoughts is the most precious gift you can give to a lot of people who are suffering. Lots of people will derive courage and comfort from your experience. But I am sure you do not have to relive your pain to do that. So just go with the flow and do keep writing :)
Aunty, your comments always inspire me. Thank you so much. I am waiting from another bloggers' meet to meet you again.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply