Skip to main content

Love vs Arranged- My take


The Oxford English dictionary defines marriage as a formal union of man and woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife and I am sure that everyone agrees to this. But is marriage completely explainable in these couple of words? I do not think so. Simply saying, ‘Kabul hai’, ‘I do’ or taking the ‘saat pheres’ does not quiet interpret a marriage. As far as I can understand, marriage is a promise which is meant to remain unbroken for the life time of the people involved. It is vow to live together forever, to be by each other’s side, to make your mate happy and support in the sorrows, to try to understand each other and avoid misunderstandings, to be each other’s friend before the course of love and most importantly to trust each other and never let the foundation of the relationship weaken.

A girl, since her childhood, dreams to have a perfect husband who comes on a white horse to marry her or so used to be the thought a few years back. Now the white horse may be replaced by Ferrari. The first marriage in which an Indian girl takes part is that of doll she owns. She is the one who arranges the marriage yet wants the dolls to fall in love. Since then, a girl’s mind starts debating upon love marriage or arranged marriage. Lucky are those whose love marriages are arranged and arranged marriages are filled with love. No matter what kind of a marriage it is, love and arrangement are needed in equal proportion. Don’t you think so?

Among the youth of today, love marriage has become a trend or a fashion and arranged marriages are considered to be the ones their parents/grand parents did. I used to think so and also that love marriages are more successful than the arranged ones. But with the course of time my thoughts reversed when I saw a few love marriages failing and arranged marriages lasting, of the same generation. And again my thoughts did not remain the same as I came to understand that it’s not the type of marriage that make it successful instead it’s the people involved and their choices that decide the strength of the marriage.

Love is world’s most beautiful feeling and the greatest power that people have. The only problem, now days, is that people fall in love everyday and mind you, it’s always true love. I have often heard people say, “Pyaar kab kahaan kaise kisse ho jaye kisi ko pata nahi chalta.” May be it is true. Even if people fall in love everyday, there’s always a feeling of “She/He is the right one” for a particular person. And then the thought of marriage comes into their lives. At times it is immediate and at other times it is a slow process. I believe that Love isn’t blind, it’s just the people indulged in love unintentionally fake to be blind. Before the marriage, people not only need to be in love but also know each other well enough to complete their incompleteness.

In arranged marriages, love starts with devotion. It does not happen overnight. If in love marriages, love happens first then in arranged marriages, the process of knowing each other takes place first. Things are automatically a lot different here.

If we go on to discover the complexities of both the kinds of marriages, I am sure I will be able to write a complete research thesis on the subject and still not be able to reach conclusions from my hypotheses. Leaving the debate open for all to discuss is what sounds best to me. You tell me, which is better- love marriage or arranged marriage?

This entry has been written for the IndiBlogger Contest by Sony: www.facebook.com/LoveYaArrange. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply