Skip to main content

Emotional Bonding With Chemo Port


People who do not know what a chemo port is may Google it to get more details. As far as I know it’s a device that is put under the skin of a patient’s body by a minor surgery which is connected to the central vein and is generally used for long term treatment like chemotherapy.


 Ten days after I was diagnosed with Pre B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL), on 31st May 2008, my treating doctor at Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore recommended a chemo port to be inserted into my body to facilitate long term intra venous medication. Accordingly I was made to undergo a minor operation on 10th June 2008 to insert the device into my body which stayed with me for more than three years till my treatment got over. As I was being taken to the OT (Operation Theatre) for my first ever operation to insert the chemo port I was thrilled beyond anybody’s expectations. Everybody in the hospital including the doctors and nurses were amazed at my courage. After all it is not very common to find a patient going to OT with such hilarious expression.


I underwent the exhaustive protocols of chemotherapy amidst  lots of ups and downs  and thanks to my new chum, the chemo port, who made the excruciatingly  painful therapy a lot easier for me to bear. Gradually I developed a sort of inseparable bond with this plastic device implanted in my body.

What I am trying to figure out here is not about how the Chemo port helped me during the three year long treatment but about the emotional bond that I shared with it.

On July 20, 2011, three months after my treatment was over a minor surgical procedure was carried out to take it out of my body exactly  after 3 years 1 month and 10 days. I was really very sad on that day. Please don’t get me wrong. I was definitely happy that removal of this device meant that my treatment was completely over and I was out of the clutches of cancer. But I was sad- because during the  3 years of my togetherness with it  the device had become an essential part of my anatomy. And now its removal made me feel as if I was going to lose a part of me forever.  Can anybody feel happy to part with a limb or organ?  And there I was with grief in my heart and a big ear to ear smile on my face when I was being taken to the OT for the second time in my life for removing it.


I could not share my grief with anyone as no one could see what was happening inside me the way I saw it. My parents and friends always reprimand me if I talk about how happy and lucky I have been to have such a disease and how much I love the chemo port. And believe me I never think my leukemia to be a disease or the port to be just a device. In fact I think them to be something which made me different from others. In fact I sometimes do not share my feelings because I fear they may laugh at it which will make me further sad.


A little part of the port could be seen under the skin near  my neck. Whenever I was asked about it, I felt a kind of pride telling about what it was and how and why it was there. Now when I turn my head here and there , I don’t have the feeling of something being in my neck. And most of the times I find myself touching that particular area of my skin sub consciously to feel the port. And when I do not find  it I feel really unhappy.


I have been told time and again by my family and friends that it was not a part of me. But my heart never accepts it. People who come to know about what I’ve been through feel sorry for me and I really  don’t understand why.
Even today I have my feeling to myself but penning it down may help a little to lighten it. People will never look at  my life as I see it and will never understand what the chemo port meant to me. But even today I  miss my dear Chemo port like I have lost some part of me with the same intensity as on July 20, 2011. And probably I can never forget it throughout my life.

Comments

Mridula said…
I became aware of your blog through your brother's documentary! You are a rock star. I can't claim I understand your struggle but I surely admire you!

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply