Skip to main content

Death of Imagined Possibilities


Death continues to remain the element of my fantasy. Although it isn’t as dominant as it used to be when I was a kid. The last page of my copy of Midnight’s Children has my understanding of death scribbled – a thought that perhaps occurred to me while reading the book. I am not the one who deals with death with poise. During my teenage I had learnt that there is absolutely no point talking about how someone’s death affects me. The response from people was – it’s a part of life, you should know better, you have gone through so much. It was terrible to hear these words. Does any amount of experience help us be okay with death?

A month ago when a relative died, I was amazed that I didn’t react to it. I had not known her closely, and the little that I knew wasn’t enough to make me grieve. I went about my day, checking up on my mother who stayed up the whole night. I was far from feeling any sense of loss. It put me in a dilemma – have I really gotten used to death? As I thought about it, I realised that no amount of blood-relation guarantees a connection that matters.

As blasphemous as it may sound, I say this because I find myself completely lost on some days thinking about Professor Taneja who died in April 2018. He continues to be in my Facebook friend list. Everytime I scroll through my contacts on whatsapp, I find his face smiling at me in between. The strangest thing is he did not even teach me. We spoke on Facebook, and perhaps, I have a special place in my heart for people who confess being lonely. He once talked of the loneliness that comes with his profession. Many a times I find myself imagining what might have happened had I taken up his invitation to visit him. I didn’t think there was any hurry.

September 9, 2016
This evening I heard the news of the death of the poet, novelist, academic Nabaneeta Dev Sen. I had met her about three years ago during the launch of The Liberationof Sita by Volga. It was such a delight to listen to her that evening. She had tried her very best to recall all the Odia that she knew when she learnt that I am from Odisha. She was so warm and welcoming. I talked to her for a while that evening. She signed my copy of the book in Odia. Later, she called me by name to sign again in English. I was taken aback. I do not expect people to remember my name at all. So, when they do, even for the briefest time, I am taken by surprise.

I firmly believe that death is something experienced by living. I mourn for people I don’t know while I do not grieve for family members, however distant, who have been a part of my childhood. It is not a big concern, I think. For if there’s anything I know for sure then it’s that time is no measure of feeling connected to anyone. In fact, the more we get to know a person, the more difficult it is to continue to like them. But mostly, we remember people by the memory of how we felt around/with them. I remember the warm laughter of Nabaneeta Dev Sen, her jokes on her inability to move around because of her weight. And, I think, given she called me by my name – that made the encounter somewhat special. (I have a history of people complaining about the difficulty in pronouncing/spelling my name, who end up shortening it for their convenience.) 

For some reason, I always had it in my head that I’ll meet her again and remind her of that evening – have a good laugh about it maybe. Sometimes such small instances make a great impact. Her death perhaps takes away the imagined possibility and hence, it hurts. It’s always the what could have been(s) that keep me up.

Comments

PRAMOD said…
I wonder how you express abstract things so beautifully. Keep up the spirit.
avinashp9 said…
Death, is close next to breathing for me. I am a cancer physician working in Bihar.Bihar has 42% people living below poverty line. People come in last stages, advanced tumors, protruding bellies, popping eyes and rabid tongue. Many die without treatment fee with suboptimal one. I was trained in Mumbai and Delhi, where people still cared about death. Here death isn't a comma. Poeple accept their fate and the diagnosis of cancer is a beckoner

No money, no infrastructure,state barren from talent and drive. All brilliance isbdraimed to feed metros and cosmopolitan, who never return or contribute enough back to home state.

It is depressing to see such laggard, chronically ill state. I still see close close to 100 cancer patients per day. But my patience is withering away.
I though one man may change the system, but alas you can't change something which is not willing to change.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply