Skip to main content

Rewiring Loneliness


A lot has been said about loneliness. A lot has been said about the difference between being lonely and being alone. I was raised in a ‘learn to be alone’ way that implied the idea of being self-sufficient. Given my childhood and teenage was dominated by my dedication to friendship, I was often asked, ‘Will any of your friends do what you do for them?’ It was based on the assumption of requiring reciprocation. I am not sure if I said it out loud, I might have, that, ‘I am not doing it for them, I am doing it because I need to do it for myself.’

A few months ago, during a conversation I asked a man if he was married. He laughed and mentioned that he is sixty nine years old. I simply added, ‘and…?’ Then he clarified that he is married and has many grand children. I understood his amusement, but I didn’t understand what age had to do with the question. A person can be widowed or divorced or homosexual or asexual or just single. Being sixty nine doesn’t say anything about his/her marital life, not in the world in my head. The discussion moved to reciprocation of love, and the gentleman said, ‘Why should someone love you when you don’t love them?’ For the briefest of moments, I doubted my theory of love and being loved. I decided to say it out loud, ‘You love someone because you do, reciprocation doesn’t change how you feel, it only decides whether or not you can act on or materialise what you feel.’ There was no response and I was left to wonder if it was an immature statement.

After years of taking pride in being alone, I can now accept that I have always been lonely. I prefer being lonely alone than being lonely in relationships that are “supposed” to take away loneliness. As a teenager, a few times I mentioned that as much as my parents are “open-minded” and “supportive”, there has been little or no emotional support within the family. I don’t quite remember how my parents reacted to it. As far as romantic relationships are concerned, I walk out of them the moment (or eventually) I have to report my hour to hour activity to the other person. I’d honestly like to kill instant messaging that’s spreading faster than a virus on all social media platforms.

In a time when my friends are thinking about and planning their wedding, I am convinced that I cannot be with a person who waits for me to be home at the end of the day to share a meal. I want to be with someone who understands what it’s like to be consumed by passion, someone who has his/her own passion and doesn’t swap it with the relationship yet respects both. A person who gets that to love means, I can live without you but I don’t want to but I will if I have to – someone who’s complete within and acknowledges the requirement of healthy support. I want a person who doesn’t put me in a box with a label and is aware that we live, speak, act in the moment and nothing is absolute. Also, s/he should know the difference between communicating and talking. As I begin this list of requirements, I hear my friends talk about in-laws, financial status and caste differences. I wonder about the fall from the world in my head into the physical world around me, where will I crash and how?

I am convinced that I might never find someone to be with; I am scared of being with someone simply for the need to be loved. I know that I have met only a handful of people. As difficult as I find it to connect emotionally to a person, I have had that connection for a few seconds. By this, I don’t mean being able to identify with someone or their story or being able to share your own. I mean, the feeling that you get when the person solves your puzzle of words said and left unsaid. The memory of it can last a lifetime. However, wanting to extend that moment only leads to disaster.

Of late a few people have told me, ‘we should totally meet.’ I am guilty of not wanting the same. I don’t feel the need to meet anyone. No matter how much I talk or listen to people, I am unable to feel what they feel for me. Perhaps, I have stopped looking for a reassurance of my being (I protest with emotional violence if my being is dismissed). So, I don’t jump in my head anymore when I find stories relatable, I know I am not alone.

For now, I believe that we have to live with (varying intensities of) loneliness and the constantly nagging sensation of being empty. The point is not to get rid of loneliness; the point is to know that we can survive the loneliness. So, when I see people unintentionally treating me as their possession, speaking for me while introducing me to others, I don’t feel the need to “correct” them. I cannot change my impression in their heads. I laugh and play along on the days when I can. On other days, I walk like a ghost hoping to be invisible while fearing invisibility.

Comments

Arti said…
Such a poignant read and very beautiful written, I could relate to so much of what you said. Very few people who appreciate the beauty in the present moment, not trying to hold it, possess it, elongate it, but just cherish it, as is. Thank you for writing this piece .. keep writing and god bless.
Aditi said…
Happy Birthday ��
I don't frequently visit your blog, and when I visited today I didn't read the Greys one bcz I have never seen a single episode or maybe seen a couple of episodes at my friend's place being completely clueless.
But this blog title really caught my attention. You are among the very few people in the world I relate too. I love people so much that people I love wonder why,they ask me often why, to which I reply always after all my experiences in my life I have learnt ..... I give it all in love bcz thats what a person I am for me it is all or none and no I don't expect you to love me back, I love few people but I love them to the core.
It sometimes makes me even feel powerful like my love is dependent on me on that the other person.
About being lonely or alone I have also had a childhood where I had less emotional support from family, like they are very supportive but emotional communication has always been lacking. They was a part of life I was alone I felt lonely and lost. Now even if I am alone I love being by myself. Just took some time to know myself and life in better way.
Love - in general not necessarily romantic is ruined by instant messaging.I remember people valuing every message they sent via mobile messages when they were charged or calling someone and valuing every minute they talk.
I think you loving a person is great and you finding a person with same understands your perspective and loving you back just makes life lil easier. Like two chords striking together.
Huh, you are one of the most mature people I have met, and I would like to talk about people, life, relationships with you maybe sometime if we meet again on some random bridge.
Till then be amazing as you are and I hope you have an amazing year ahead filled with some really interesting people, great books and great food. Happy birthday (no I am also like you I don't really celebrate my birthday, but I love celebrating my friends bday ��)

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply