Skip to main content

Quitting Job isn't as Cool as we Make it Sound


In November-December 2017, I was doing an internship at Orient BlackSwan, Hyderabad. As much as I loved the work-environment, I hated the idea of being there from 9.15am to 5.30pm. I hated the idea of restraint. I felt caged although I was completely free within the walls of the office and had unlimited access to coffee. While doing my rounds in all the departments, I got a chance to interview a marketing executive who was in charge of briefing me one afternoon. He seemed friendly, so I asked him about how he ended up at OBS. Earlier I had interviewed one of their cartographers who was kind enough to tell me his journey from civil engineering to cartography. When the marketing executive completed his story, I asked him, ‘if not this job then what would you have done?’ He laughed at my question. He said, ‘I am a Tamil Brahmin. I should want to start my own business, but I am content with this nine to five job, the company takes care of my family, I would never trade this job for anything else. I never felt the need to. I don't have any passion as such. I am a very simply person.’ I was flabbergasted. I did not know how to register that a person is content in/with his job and wants to do nothing more.

I also remember that during the first week of my internship, I called my parents to tell them that I am not meant for a corporate job, I’d rather write a book that I wouldn’t read, become a bestseller in India and never worry about a job again. It was of course a joke but immediately after I uttered those words, I felt guilty. So, I added lightly that Papa has given me the privilege of choice by trading his dreams for a job, so I should use it wisely. I always feel guilty about underestimating my privilege or taking it for granted. In my father’s case, the onetime he considered changing jobs, I was diagnosed with cancer. So, that didn’t happen and his company did take care of my medical bills. 

Every other day I read the news about how someone quit his/her job to pursue his/her dreams. I know that it's in news because the person was successful. I also read about unemployment. Every time I read such news, I wonder about the belt between these two extremes – the ones who quit but aren’t successful. I am sure a census of this belt will be more uplifting or demotivating than the other two. In my case, I had many many many reasons to quit my job at Kriti Prakashan, but the only reason I did quit it is because I knew I had a strong financial and moral back up. I knew that my parents understand my reasons, in fact they were the ones to suggest quitting before I considered it.

Cooper in Interstellar (2015) says, “Murphy’s Law doesn’t mean that something bad will happen. It means that whatever can happen, will happen.” I think this applies to everything, if we can do something, we will do it. If we cannot, then we will not. ‘Want’ is just a romanticized version of the morals or judgmental view of things inherently built on age old conditioning of our minds. For example, I can commit a murder, but I will not because my morals stop me from doing it. As long as my morals are important, murdering is not a choice. So, not murdering doesn’t make me great, it just makes me socially sane. 

What I am trying to say here is that, as much as we try to think of quitting a (corporate) job as a choice, most likely it is not. If it were, instead of complaining about these jobs, people would have already quit. And, if people in large numbers would have quit, then an alternate power system would have already replaced the corporate system. I know about five friends who are working right now. For two of them job is simply the next step after college. One of them truly enjoys what she does. Another has given in to the luxuries of corporate instead of focusing on side effects simply because she doesn’t want more from her life. The last one however is unhappy in his job, wants to quit but wouldn’t, simply because in this moment he cannot.

Image Source: blog.mint.com
If I were to be honest, then I do miss having a purpose as simple as going to office and sitting at a desk for nine hours. I remind myself everyday that a sense of freedom was more important while I was working. Most people get married, have kids, and a lot follows. With so many changes in one’s personal life, the person might actually want a stable professional life or a stable income. For the ones who question the convention, exercise the choice that most people don’t have, personal life might actually be stable enough to experience the risks outside.

I have heard the story of how my father bought a pressure cooker for his house with his first salary numerous times. I hear him talk about how much he could buy in Re 1 as a kid and how those things are expensive now. As much as I love his stories, I get annoyed by the comparison because a lot has changed, globalisation has happened! But, the fact is that if I were to build my own life from scratch, I would be thinking about all those things that he talks about. But, what did I do with my first salary? I bought books that I haven’t read seven months later. I do not think that it’s a matter of difference in generation because I do remember worrying about spending hundred bucks when I was almost broke and was expecting my company to settle my dues that could easily have lasted another five months. Later, I gave in and convinced myself that it’s okay to get back on pocket money.

All I am saying is that it is high time that we stop making ‘quitting’ job a cool act and acknowledge the circumstances (privilege and maybe, just maybe, there's a thing called fate) that lead to it. And, definitely do not question another person on having a job. Maybe people need to talk to process their thoughts and choices, but most of them might be incapable of taking charge once they quit; they might just follow another’s words or lifestyle which might not turn out great. Nobody should be made to feel that their life is less worthy because they have a job. For all we know, that job might even be their passion and they might be brilliant at it.

For others, the question is if you know what your passion is then do you know how to monetise it? Because, as much as we deny it, it all does come down to money right now. 

Comments

Prathamesh said…
Happy Birthday Akankshya 😄 Can easily relate to the roller coaster of emotions while contemplating & pressing the 'Quit' button. Can't agree more with your last line & the para too. It aptly sums up this blog. Well written!!

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply