Skip to main content

Twenty Four and Driven Invisible by the C-word


I have no idea what has become of me. When I was eight years old, I had heard the news of Sushmita Sen adopting a baby girl. I was pretty sure that when I’d be twenty-five, and definitely single, I’d adopt a baby girl too. That was perhaps the very first dream of my life, the very first goal before the idea of being an astronaut or every other fleeting career goal occurred to me. Motherhood wasn’t the goal. The goal was to be successful enough by twenty-five to be responsible for another life single-handedly; and maybe, be an inspiration to some eight-year-old girl who hears about you.

Today, I am a twenty-four year-old who is one day old at resigning from a short term job that she took up to feel financially independent in a field related to the only two hardcore relationships in her life – writing and literature. As much as the fear of commitment drives me away from dating people on a long term basis, it also drove me away from jobs that included actual writing and literature a few months ago. The result was that I found myself making an impulsive decision to have a fling with the corporate world by editing school textbooks for a sum of money, if when saved, can help me survive a few months on my own when I quit the job. Wait, was that a fling or prostitution?

On a Thursday afternoon, I am home after five months. I have a word document open in front of me. I have a nagging feeling of not having paid the rent. I ardently dislike owing anyone anything, and yet, I am in a frozen state of being unable to check my bank account statement because I haven’t been paid in last two and a half months. The financial independence, and the procrastinated luxury and happiness that I dreamed of while growing up, they never happened – given I never had a chance to receive salary on time. I have not dated much, perhaps, not at all. But, I have listened to the stories of all sort of relationships, and the only category the last five months fall into is – toxic relationship.

Instead of celebrating a little sense of freedom that I felt last night, here I am writing to calm down because I came home without any paperwork yesterday and no information about financial settlement (call me skeptic, but I don’t believe in words that aren’t put down on paper). I don’t know when and how I became a person who clearly suffers from anxiety. I know that being anxious doesn’t help. I know that there is nothing much to be anxious about. Yet, I cannot calm down. Talking about the issue to people who cannot help, doesn’t help me. So, I am trying to make the best out of this situation by writing about it.

I feel funny. I had taken myself up as a project to be someone who cannot be patronized into under-confidence, self-doubt and guilt for doing the ‘right’ thing. Having achieved that, I find myself with anxiety that people don’t understand. And, the last five months of semi-corporate life has given me major running away goals at the mention of the C-word. What cancer could never do, corporate successfully did. I always wanted to work to pay my bills. I had assumed that money can be bait enough for everything. And, it hurts me to admit that, even if money pays my bill, however late, it’s not worth my mental health. Why would any company or its employees want to take a spirited soul only to crush it, consciously or not? This was the question that haunted me after the first month at work.

I took my sweet little time to convince myself that I needed my spirit back more than I needed the money. So, not only my dream of being powerful at 25 was crushed, but the belief that money buys happiness was also shattered. In fact, I'd rephrase my belief as – money buys happiness at the expense of your father’s (or whoever supports you financially)  mental health and well, a peaceful life so that you can read those books that drive you to write things that have no monetary value whatsoever.

So, here I am, emphasizing that I have twenty four years of experience at life for people to stop looking at me as a kid. I am trying to convince myself that if being twenty-four feels like a lot, there’s absolutely no reason to add to it by compromising my mental health. I am hoping that my story doesn’t end at quitting a corporate job, because I really want to move the ground to find the place where I’d know I belong – some place where I am not invisible, where people see me for who I am and don’t make me question my existence based on the assumptions they make for a twenty-four-year-old-woman-at-her-first-job-seen-as-a-girl-incapable-of-independent-thinking. 

Because, more than ever before, I feel the dire need to be seen.




Read also: Twenty Three and Adulting

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi ya! I'm here from Indiblogger. I so identify with you. I thought I'd be in control of my life, money would flow in every month from my job & I'd have ample freedom to write by the side. When I have money, I can't write & when I write, I don't have money. However, like you've penned down this state of mind, it helps to take stock of yourself regularly. I'm 31 now & still not the empowered soul I set out to be at 18. But I'm happy. So face your anxiety. I dare say, enjoy it. Channel it into the written word. The C-world ain't all that bad. Like in relationships, don't judge all by having one sour experience. Love from another literature loving soul.
Hi Ruchi! Thank you so much for your comment. It's very encouraging at this point of time in my life. Writing and jobs aren't happening together for me right now. Of course, I am not going to judge the entire C-world by this experience. However, I do require the time to contemplate the entire experience before stepping into the next job. Thank you, again!

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply