Skip to main content

Diary of A Bra-Strap

Guest post by Sushmita Sengupta

Look at her. Isn’t she just endearing? That child-like innocence on her face, as she finally tucks herself to sleep.

Nights. I love nights, peaceful, calm. Far from the gaze and judgement of the world, she in the room of her own, I resting in my closet. It almost seems as if we have earned this calm, after battling it out on the streets of Delhi in this scorching weather of July!

Which, by the way, make me miss ‘winters’ so dearly, how I sat and rested in my ‘bra-vacation’, while she happily strutted around in her sweat-shirt. Now don’t take me for a lazy bum, who just wants to relax and curl up in the wardrobe. My heart flutters with pride when she picks me over her very expensive Marks and Spencer’s or the Louis Vuitton exclusive lingerie. They maybe her prized possessions. But deep down, she loves this regular black cotton-bra from the Meher Chand Ahluwaliya’s shop at I.N.A Market. Not as pretty as those, but comfortable and compatible---

---But, but, but,  before I take full pride in this fact- the ‘society’ will leave no stones unturned in establishing that I am no more than that ‘known secret’, which everybody is aware of but shies away from acknowledging.

 Yes! Brace yourself for a one-of-a-kind rant, for fabrics have feelings too you know!

So, “Dear Diary”,

---It is becoming a common occurrence now. But what do I do, I’m getting old, the regular machine washes have withered me, and God knows how many times she has rubbed that blue monstrous soap on me, over and over! It has become tough sticking to the place’, therefore today, while travelling in the bus, I SLID DOWN! For no fault of my own (or hers), I crossed the line’… and the ostracisation that followed, Uff! It is beyond me to recount.

OH! The lechers, the aunties, and the uncles, they were all at me! As if I was some fugitive on the run! She was embarrassed/humiliated enough by the stares and taunts to pull me back in. A certain anxiety crept within her, as she shoved me back ‘at my place’, to ensure I don’t peep out again while I tried my best to stick there.

The ‘sister-strap’ on the other end made things miserable, she kept shouting at me all the way back home, for the unceremonious slippage- Did I introduce you to my sister-strap’, who most diligently holds the right breast intact? She has done so forever, without fail, you know. Quite a merit-holder at the task! Never has she slipped once.

Anyhow, after the never-ending day that it was, I came back to the closet. As if things were not worse in itself, I encountered the ‘strapless-bra’ mocking me in front of the entire wardrobe. That bitch, I tell you! Teasing is all she knows. In the midst of the humiliation, bullying and laughter- I found solace in the sympathetic eyes of the maroon underwear (which popped out of the low waist-jeans a week back), and in the far end of the closet, the red crop-top that slid a few more inches above the permissible limits last month, and has been lying in that corner, ever since it was suspended from wearing, ‘You are not wearing this handkerchief of a top ever. They were all staring you. All of them’-I heard her mother reprimand her.

Only those two understand what I was subjected to, and tried to comfort me through their eyes . But… that just wasn’t enough!

Now,what is the problem of People, eh? I am not worn by them! If anybody should have a ‘problem’, it is the person who is wearing me, with whom I must say, I have successfully established a Love-Hate relationship. I have already spoken about her ‘preferring’ to pick me, but it is also saddening to see when she has to pick me (or any of my other bra-buddies) almost against her will, Like the other day when she had to go ten steps from home to recharge her phone- Just when she was stepping out, she had an eye contact with her sister, and quickly retired to her room, hastily pulled me out and wore me-she didn’t seem too happy about it.

SOOOOO… I gather, that I am pretty important, in a way. (More important to the ‘society’ than her, I suppose). I MUST be worn at all times- Yet when I slip out of the top’s contours, all hell breaks loose! Umm... Is it not what the humans call ‘Hypocrisy’

I mean, just give her a break! Go find a job may be, or if not! Let me do mine, which is to hold and protect the sensitive breast area together, and prevent them from sagging. At least that’s ALL that I know. But over the years, I seem to be entrusted with a much greater responsibility! Aaaaand I am just not ready for it. Okay! Seriously now. Just GIVE US A BREAK!

I wonder at times what is so great a deal about the inflated piece of mass that I am supposed to be guarding. But I have come to realise it's huge and way too over-hyped, if you come to think of it! No?


-------------

About Sushmita Sengupta

Sushmita is pursuing Masters in English from Delhi University. She loves to read and write. Happens to be way cooler in her head than in real, consistently working to bridge the gap with her pen. She expects fellow humans to help her in her endeavor with value-criticism.



Comments

Pramod said…
Good sarcasm and very well written. I strongly feel this generation of young women will change the outlook of our moth eaten society and its primitive culture. Good lock.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply