Skip to main content

The Filter Fad

As far as my childhood memory supports me, the two major incidents that made me stick to the television were the September Attacks (9/11) and the Mumbai Attack (26/11). I was terrified, horrified, scared in fact. But then I got used to minor attacks every now and then, only to realize somewhere some kind of a riot, lynch etc is killing people every day. But speaking of the earlier mentioned incidents, where was my support for the suffering people back then? I am in doubt if I supported them at all, because I didn’t take out the family album and colour the photographs.



Painting our face is exactly what we do now to show support, only instead of risking our skin we like to tint our smiling, laughing, happy photographs. I am not the person who will go on to lecture on how facebook has ruined our lives. But I admit that it has. Filtering our profile pictures to show support is something that I am totally against. In the course of six months, people have used the filters to show support for the legalization of gay marriage in America, the Digital India and the recent attack on Paris.

The question that follows is, how are we supporting anything by putting up a filter?

 How many of us can accept homosexuality without making fun of it. The gender spectrum is so blurred in our mind that we are still stuck with the two out of many. Again, we are somehow subconsciously bound by our upbringing to joke about one’s masculinity and femininity when shown in the ‘inappropriate’ body. But yes, we are all happy to have the rainbow on our virtual faces. That’s easy. But what’s difficult is to question our own ideologies on gender, because when one does so, it takes a lot of time to get out of a world of duality that we thought we had been living in.

The initiative by the Indian Government to provide internet access in the rural areas of India is also a big step towards the development of India. Better connectivity will definitely make life easy for people. But then, how is an illiterate person going to study and make windmills in his/her village? We do not have proper education in the rural India. Yes, many schools have been built but the maintenance is poor. I do not even have to go to an actual village to say this, because even in a metro city like Delhi the rural areas remain uneducated. So maybe it is a big deal, but we need to look after the offline needs of these areas first.

The death of 150 people is the first thing I hear when I wake up. That doesn’t really make me happy. I dig into the matter and when I open facebook, I see the French tricolor all over my timeline. The news of the attack makes me sad but there is nothing that I can do about it. I do not have the finance to send help. I can pray for the sufferings, obviously. But praying won’t change things. If prayers really worked, then God wouldn’t have let the attack take place, would he? I might have offended millions of theists by saying this but the intention was to question our ideology of God. I had been an agnostic for a long time without associating the existence of God to any religion. But then most of us associate the idea of God to religion. So when the attacks are blamed on one particular religion, are the people associated to the same supposed to change their religion for their prayers to be listened by God?


Changing the filter has become a fad. Something happens; let’s show our support by filtering our display picture. But then, many people don’t even know the reason behind the filter.  ‘There is a new filter on facebook, everybody is updating it so let me do it too.’ That's the sad state we live in.We follow the crowd blindly. In this case, the whole purpose of the ‘filter for support’ is nullified. If one really wants to show support and do something about the happenings all over the world, s/he needs to peep into his/her own ideologies and question them. How far are we actually willing to go when we want the world to change? Also, when we are talking about the sufferings, aren't millions of people suffering in our own country every second? Where do we show our support then? Suffering doesn't come with a major attack, it dwells within us.

Comments

Afshan Shaik said…
Very aptly and precisely put
Exactly my feelings. I dont understand the splash of colors. May be they are sad but why do we choose biased style of condemning the attacks. I feel Zuckerberg dictates and people fall bait :(
some might be genuine but am just not in to this "PICTIVISM"
I wrote a post long back on this
Pramod said…
Very much logical. Showing off in the social media has become the latest fashion today. The herd mentality has not changed over the years. Only the style of showing it has changed. Earlier some people had some fellow feeling towards the suffering lot. Today there is no feeling at all but he show off in the media enormous.
Unknown said…
That is indeed a very nice view on the topic, Akankshya. But people do what they do, and regardless of whether they actually care about it or not, it does send a strong message as a society when everyone colours their profile photos. A lot of them who wouldn't even would have known about it would maybe now think about it a bit, who otherwise would have done nothing about it. Also, all of us can't go out on the border and gun down the enemies or lead social reform movements that actually change the society. Sometimes, a simple deed such as colouring your profile photo or lighting a candle goes a long way in bringing the first step to change: making a change in yourself. Which brings me to my suggestion, that you could have included a part where you tell us if not this then what? Is there a better and simpler way a common man can reach out and express to something like the paris attacks?
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply