Skip to main content

The Mysterious Locked Chapter

Memories are what we are left with as the time passes. Some are good and some are bad. We tend to forget some and treasure some. We like to believe that we have the power to control what we want to remember. But in the end, we have every bit of our past stored in some part of our brain, only we cannot recall all of it all the time.

Ever since I started writing about my leukemia, I intended to dedicate a post to the 6-7 days that I spent in the ICU. Those days, in the Pediatric Intensive care Unit of Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, are covered under a shroud of mysteries. What I remember of those days can be summed up in an hour! I spend 144-168 hours in ICU and I barely remember anything.

Choosing to forget something and not knowing that something in the first place are two entirely different things, the former can help you move on and the latter one can practically drive you crazy. Every now and then I go up to my parents and ask them about those days, they avoid discussing it. They bluntly reply me in a line or two. My doctor doesn’t seem to be of any help either. Everyone thinks that it is a really nice thing to have not remembered that ‘terrible’ moment! This only ends up making me more curious.

Here is what I remember-

I had been vomiting everything that I ate for some days till finally on the evening of June 17 2008, I felt the pain in my stomach so badly that I did not know anymore what was happening around me. Everything around me was blurred, not out of sight. It seemed to me that I wanted to say something but no one heard me. I heard people shouting, saw panicked faces, felt my body being moved. There was chaos everywhere and suddenly there was nothing. Nothing at all. The next thing I hear is my mother asking what the chances of my survival are. 15% said the doctor. And again, Black out. I heard nursery rhymes karaoke being played. I enjoyed it. But not for long. Black out. I saw a lady standing in front of me. I did not recognize her. I could not speak. I asked my dad to switch on the fans, it was hot. He did not understand. I asked him to use the newspaper to fan me. He did not understand again, I assume. All he did was put more blankets on me. Black out. The ward sisters and mom made me sit, I fell back. Doctors hunted for an artery line in my arms. [Probably all the veins were already poked and taken] My uncle showed me my brother’s picture at his new school. A doctor came to ask me if I like the music. I say yes. They played some bollywood karaoke tracks. I felt a doctor poking my left thigh to connect a long line. It did or did not work. I just saw a lot of blood on a large amount of cotton. Black out. I heard someone mourning at the bed adjacent to me. Black out. I was taken back to the ward, out of the ICU. It was 23rd June 2008.

Throughout those days and nights, what did I feel? What did I think? Nothing. Nothing that I remember.

I was later (much much later when I asked) told that I was taken to ICU because I was in a state of SHOCK. I was neither conscious nor unconscious. I was attacked by Acute Pancreatitis which was the only side effect of L-Asparaginase, one of the most important drugs required for my treatment of Pre B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. I was also told that side effect is rare but I have realized over the course of time that everything that was rare usually happened to me. Moving on, my dad said that I seemed to be a body surrounded by the most number of medical instruments that he had ever seen. My mom said my blood pressure had gone down to 23/9 mm/Hg which actually made my body freeze and so I was just being covered up with as many blankets as possible. She doesn’t remember her conversation with the doctor about my chances of survival or so she says. So, I do not really know if it really happened but yes the statistics is true-15% survival chances. My body had swollen because of all the fluids entering my body from different veins at the same time. My eyes were tiny, almost closed. My lips were deformed when the ventilator was taken out of my mouth after a 3 day stay. I did not speak. Everyone says that the stage I had been in is when people go into COMA. But I did not. So I have been tagged for having a great will power or so. One of my friends’ parents also came to visit me in those days and I have no idea at all. I cannot even picture them. All my doctors came to visit me turn by turn everyday, not that I remember. I always responded when doctors talked to me.

Even after all these years of asking people, I do not have a clear picture of what had happened to me. I now know that my questions wouldn’t ever be answered to my satisfaction even if people gave me every little bit of information of those days. All I want to know is what I felt in those days, what I thought of in those days. Was my mind really blank? I cannot answer these to myself. It sucks. I will probably never stop hunting for answers but as of now 17 June 2008- 23 June 2008 is a locked chapter of my life whose key is lost somewhere, or wasn’t even made at the first place.

I am glad that I have the clear and vivid picture of what happened after 23 June 2008. But that is another story, a bit serious, mostly funny. Or may be not. That would require another blog post. I have always looked back to the ‘Leukemia’ chapter of my life with an optimistic view. But sometimes I am visited with the ghost of the by-gone days, when things weren’t as happy and cheerful as I mention them to be. Having no idea about what I thought of those days is the scariest part. But anyway it feels great to know that people were actually scared of losing me.


As of now, all I know is that 5 years ago people prayed and were glad that I did not stop breathing. My life turned upside down in those 6-7 days. These days everything around me has been falling apart. It has been 2 weeks that I have been continuously loosing and breaking things unintentionally. I had almost lost my temper, but then I realized five years ago at this time I was 7 days away from knowing that leukemia is cancer. And even then I knew that no matter what happens, every piece of my life’s puzzle will fall into its place and make perfect sense. And that’s probably the best thought I have ever had. No matter how screwed up I am emotionally, physically, mentally; I am still breathing. And that’s probably the best part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply