Skip to main content

'My Sister's Keeper' and I

“Saw My Sister’s Keeper. Beautiful! At one point had to pause. I was crying so much. It reminded me of you.

There is so much more in the world. That is heart breaking, painful, sad yet beautiful.
And we cry about stupid things and useless stuff.

Sometimes I find it difficult to categorize grief. It’s like – No one can ever decide what problem is big enough to cry about.. For how long! Is someone’s death the pinnacle of grief? Or simply breaking up is enough to keep crying. It is like- I can’t decide which sadness is sadder.”

As soon as the motivator friend of mine said these words, I realized that I have been feeling the same way too. Lately I haven’t been able to categorize grief. Anything that didn’t happen the way I expect it to be, made me sad.  In fact I have let petty things upset me. I have shed a lot of valuable tears recently. Also I have been taking the wrong path; I have been taking the way that goes towards the left in the number line. I believed I was exhausted of being positive. The break that my optimism took is now over I guess.

My Sister’s Keeper is a beautiful English drama that I saw this summer. It is a movie that attacks your sentiments directly only if you choose to believe in what it shows. The desires of a cancer sufferer is shown without exaggeration and so the movie stole my heart. It speaks of all the love starting from the mother to the youngest sister to the love beyond family; the kind of love that people would probably claim to exist only in Utopia. Having suffered from cancer, I connect to this little piece of art in a jiffy.

“Having a child who is sick is a full time occupation. Sure, we still enjoy the day-to-day happiness of family life. Big house, great kids, beautiful wife. But beneath the exterior, there are cracks…  resentments.. alliances that threaten the very foundation of our lives… as at any moment our whole world could come tumbling down.” – A quote from the movie.

It has been two years that I am out of the clutches of cancer. My parents still worry about me. They worry so much that it angers me to hear them speak. They care. And I am growing up. I am a spoilt brat and a rebel. I struggle for my desire to be independent. They say one day I will handle myself well but today is not the time. It is not a really nice thing to hear. But after all that they have been through, their ‘overflowing’ concern is justified. I will make sure that my parents see this movie too.

I have been an inspiration to a few people. It does make me feel good. But at times I need others to remind me of the inspiration I have been to them. And this motivator friend of mine makes me realize so co incidentally most of the times when I am low. My face glows with a 32 inch smile, when I inspire myself after a long time. Lately I haven’t talked to people about my experience with cancer and have a great urge to throw an “I had cancer” bomb during a light hearted conversation with some new people, only to see the expression of disbelief on their faces. It’s been a long time that I have shocked people. And I am craving to tell my story again. I have a feeling that I would be bombarding soon. Pity the ones who thought I am just temporarily mentally sick!

And no matter what genre you like, go for My Sister’s Keeper once. I am not really good at writing reviews, so I am not giving you a proper review. IMDB is a better source. I am sure that you can’t deny that it is a beautiful movie. The story isn’t only about the one suffering, but everyone who suffers along, make sacrifices; take extreme decisions because they love. There are moments when you can’t watch it anymore. Because you’re busy crying. It may not show anything new that you haven’t heard of, but if you have anyone around you suffering from a disease like this, you would relate to the movie too. Because you know, you’re a part of it too. Let your stereotypes go, get involved in the movie. I am not sure if saying ‘enjoy’ would do justice but believe in what you see!


SPOILER ALERT! Do not read the following quote if you don’t want to know the story beforehand.


“Death is just death, nobody understands it. Once upon a time I thought I was put on earth to save my sister. And in the end I couldn’t do it. I realize now... that wasn’t the point. The point was, I had a sister. She was fantastic. One day I am sure I’ll see her again. But until then… our relationship continues.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply